The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the halides went on, ( 3 x 250) over a 120, at 11am. I just checked my pH and was a bit disturbed to find it at 7.9. The AC is on. Just for giggles, I thought I'd open the window next to the tank to see if I've got a CO2 accumilation issue causing a lower pH. Well, 15 minutes later, my tanks pH was 8.5... Crazy!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not unusual for PH to fluctuate like that. It will fall overnight with the lights off and come up when the lights come back on. This is some of the reasoning behing the reverse photo period in Sumps.

GT

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not unsual in normal tanks... I guess I left this out on my post. My tank averages 7.8 - 8.05 daily, with the windows shut, and the AC on. What is different is that I opened the window next to the tank, and got the above result. I had tested for excess CO2 by following Randy's aeration test (from RC's Chemistry forum) and found that this was the case. I didn't except this big of a swing though... especially after my halides were on for only 3 hours...(normal pH after 3 hours 7.95, not 8.5).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts