The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
("DISCLAIMER.....I am not a who's who of fragging, but hope this thread will become a wealth of information for all who would like to know about fragging in the future.")
The Reef Tank is a unique bulletin board with a unique philsophy. Our mission is to provide a supportive, flame-free environment for beginning and experienced aquarists to share ideas, ask questions, and learn about the marine and reef keeping hobby. We also aim to educate ourselves and others about responsible animal husbandry, promoting captive-raised livestock and aquacultured corals when possible.

In order to facilitate that mission we have set the following guidelines for the community:
  • Messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws will not be allowed. Please keep your threads free of profanity.
  • If you are a business, please make note that commercial advertising posts are not allowed. We do encourage business owners to share their knowledge of the hobby in the forums and do allow you to place your business name and link in your signature.
If you have any questions about our posting policy, please contact a moderator, administrator, or email [email protected] before posting.

Thank you for your help in keeping this community friendly and helpful. Enjoy!

Most, if not all reef keepers have had some experience with 'fragging'......either a small piece of Coral(frag) they bought at their lfs and glued it to their reef. Found a 'dropped' baby Coral on the bottom of the tank, or intentionally cut a piece of their Coral and fastened it to some rubble......it's an inherent part of this hobby.

Just the word itself to a completely new hobbiest may leave a confused look on someone's face......A 'frag' refers to a FRAGMENT of a Coral.....a small piece of a larger Coral or of a colony. We all eventually figure THAT out for ourselves, but com'on, would be nice if someone told us.

There's the Coral......here's the plug/rubble/rock/ect.....here's the glue/epoxy/rubber band/ect.....HAPPY FRAGGING!

:unsure: ......uhhhhh, OK?......

SPS....LPS.....SOFTIES.....anemones..... Is there a difference?

Glues....epoxies...gel....underwater.....dry..... uhhhhh, yeah?

Buy....sell....trade......Frag swaps....reef clubs....prices....
On-line....lfs.... 'reputable'....shipping.....

Supplies......packaging......heating/cooling......

Yeah Ya see. Would like to have a ONE STOP place to ask and have all our questions answered. We could 'search the WEB.....and it's one of those things where if you ask enough people you'll eventually get the answer you want to hear....BUT who do you trust.

I'm not sure HOW to do this ti do it justice, so this will probably be a 'work in progress', so please jump in, HELP, stay tuned.....

Hack

(INDEX)
Anemones - PAGE 1

Fastening - PAGE 1

Making your own FRAG RACKS - PAGE 2

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Important note.
You don’t frag anemone only one species is it possible with and even then most result of failure of frag and original.
It would be like trying to frag a fish.
Only propagate by budding.

Reactions: VWD

·
Administrator
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my effort to make this as user friendly, and ease of finding the information one is searching for, I have (EDITED) my 1st post with an (INDEX) at the bottom......I will try to keep track and every time I see a new 'area' being covered, I will add that page number and title to the index. Sounds pretty 'cave man' but it's all I can think of. :unsure: ......If anyone is more tech savoy than I please feel free to assist in 'CATEGORY MANAGEMENT'.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HOW TO FASTEN A CORAL

Frag plugs, frag discs, and rubble are the most common I'm familiar with.....not to mention directly to your reef.

Wood Dishware Cuisine Headgear Tints and shades
Medicine Cuisine Pharmaceutical drug Service Seed
Road surface Asphalt Flooring Floor Wood

Relatively inexpensive......have a 'rough textured surface' to make it easier to adhere Coral to......and the various sizes and shapes make it easy to place them where you want them on your reef. The PLUGS lend themselves nicely to shove into the holes in your live rock.

That's the WHERE, now we need to know the HOW.

'Stony' Corals/'Hard' Corals are the easiest, and lend themselves readily to being fastened to a structure.
'Soft' Corals are a little trickier. Some are easy, such as Kenya Trees that have a little 'stiffness' to their structure.
But fastening, say a Mushroom, will at times drive you nuts.....'slimy, soft and hard to grasp'.

I personally use this
Bottle Liquid Green Drink Poster

The 'GEL' makes it easier to place a little puddle into which you place your specimens.

BUT there are various other things you can use, epoxies for one......but I have personally not tries anything other than the Superglues.

I take the piece of Coral I want to glue to a surface, pat the surface to be glued on a paper towel and place it in a little glob of gel glue. I hold it steady for the recommended 60 seconds usually, and place it back in the water. Took me quite a while to get over the fear and concerns of having a piece of Coral out of the water.......but it doesn't hurt them for THAT little time they're exposed to the air.

NOTE

Sponges are a HUGE EXCEPTION to being exposed to the air!

*****And a LOT OF TIMES I actually have success with my 'soft' Corals with this method....NOT ALWAYS THOUGH!
I have a Softies tank, and I literally have Corals falling like rain, and Mary Poppin's on her umbrella.

Water Natural environment Organism Underwater Natural material

My 'Mushroom Mountain'.

When I pick up a Mushroom Coral laying in our reef, a lot of times they have already been someplace where they have some 'sand/dirt/rubble' already stuck to the bottom side, making it easy to 'glue' them......BUT if not, the easiest method is to set them in a 'LOW FLOW' environment in your tank in a little bowl/container with sand/rubble in it......and over the course of a few days to a week they will adhere to some of this, making it easy to just then 'glue' them to your preferred surface.

Some people rather than the 'letting them get dirty' first, tie them with string or a rubber band for a period of time to the plug or rock. I find this VERY TEDIOUS! So I have ceased even trying this method any longer. I am not a patient man.

Hack

·
Administrator
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a few good videos I've come across for the actual fastened down process....

<iframe width="950" height="534" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,201 Posts
I personally mainly frag SPS, they are super easy. You literally snip off a branch, then use some Super Glue Gel to glue it to a rock, or one of those Frag Plugs that Hack mentioned. Here are a couple tips I've picked up over the years though:
1. If you are using allot of glue, then it helps to have some sea water in a pipette to spray on the base while the glue dries. The sea water will make it set up much faster.
2. When you put it in the water put it in so the coral goes in first. Sometimes it will have this glue film that comes off, and if its a small frag that can actually do damage.
3. If it's a large frag, sometimes cutting off the bottom of a second frag plug, or gluing a little rock to the plug will help you balance it for the glue to dry. Turning off flow sometimes helps too.

If for some odd reason you have to put the glue tube underwater (avoid this if you can) make sure to use a metal tube, because the plastic one will pull water inside when you stop squishing and ruin the glue in the bottle.

A method for mushrooms and pylops that I really like is to have a tupperware that you drill full of holes and fill part way with rock rubble. You can place the mushrooms in there so they don't blow away and over a couple days they will attach down to the rubble allowing you to move them out onto a rock somewhere. Gluing them doesn't work unless they are already attached to something like the sand that Hack mentioned.

With leathers, rubber banding them to a rock works remarkably well. They will attach quickly and you can remove the rubber band. Sometimes the rubber band can cut the coral if it's too tight and you end up with two.

Those are just a few thoughts off the top of my head. I'm working on how to get mushrooms off the rock without harming them now,.. if I figure that out I'll let you know.

Whiskey

·
Administrator
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm working on how to get mushrooms off the rock without harming them now,.. if I figure that out I'll let you know.
THAT is what I envision for this thread Vinnie.....

1 project that is immediately before me now pertaining to this FRAGGING THREAD, is that I am 'fragging' my whole 210 gallon 'softies' system. Face value.....buy more plugs! :p

Water Blue Azure Natural environment Fluid

A LOT MORE PLUGS!

So a BIG YES to this thought. I'm going to start my thread shortly documenting this new step in my journey in this hobby, and will undoubtedly be linking it to here for the information of HOW THIS WILL WORK.

I watched a video on someone demonstrating HOW TO FRAG A MUSHROOM CORAL ATTACHED TO A ROCK yesterday, as opposed to FRAGGING A MUSHROOM CORAL THAT WAS LOOSE.......Straight forward, sliced through the middle of the Mushroom, through the 'mouth', and then with a pair of cutters split the rock. BING BANG BOOM! Yeah, right!
I will be giving this aspect a lot of attention shortly.

Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,201 Posts
Yeah, I've definitely heard about cutting them, but I don't really need to do that. I'm interested in getting them off the rock unharmed. It's easy to chip away a bit of rock, but my dream is to do this in the tank because I have some huge rocks coated. It might not be possible (or reasonable) but I'll look around and let you know if I come up with anything that works.

Whiskey

·
Administrator
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good morning Whiskey.....In the past when I shipped my frags to folks, there was no need to cut n snip.....I have tons just blowing/laying around. But to move my whole system into this new direction, I will be cutting n snipping....A LOT!!!!!!
I won't be 'cutting' individual Mushrooms...NO NEED TO, but will be looking at BEST PRACTICES for 'removing/fragging' them, individually or a few on a plug/rock eat.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Jerry.....
Looks like the old hammer n chisel will be a GREAT place to start......turning the reef into something more manageable.
Fist step will be to look past the OVERWHELMING....being able to see the 'trees through the forest'. THAT will happen once I get the tanks set up, and start moving. Have to quit looking at A REF, and viewing the Corals as ASSETS for my new journey. KEEP THIS IN MIND when the time comes people....1 - Coral at a time. ("Now to practice what I preach.")
Hack

·
Administrator
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.....unfair.....THAT required 2-THUMBS UP! Sorry....
Hack

·
Administrator
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
YOU'RE a trouble maker Vinnie.....now I just HAVE TO run out an get me one of them 'cutting machines'....THAT'S COOL!
Hack

1 - 20 of 51 Posts