The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Bought a microscope recently to look at a new level of my reef tank. Put a drop of skimmate on a slide and was surprised to see the swarm of single-celled animals resembling rice grains scurrying about (45x). These are not seen in tank, refugium or sump water to any concentration. Trying to figure out how to load a video but here is a still shot for your interest.
Anybody know what these might be?

Attachments

· Administrator
61,146 Posts
well considering it is urine and feces from fish and inverts along with a generous dollop of various inverts mucus coating that has shed along with possible reproductive discharges and decaying left over food, is it surprising it smells like a nasty trash can on a hot day? Even with skimming, some people take pride in not doing regular water changes, OKAY ;)

· Registered
375 Posts
well considering it is urine and feces from fish and inverts along with a generous dollop of various inverts mucus coating that has shed along with possible reproductive discharges and decaying left over food, is it surprising it smells like a nasty trash can on a hot day? Even with skimming, some people take pride in not doing regular water changes, OKAY ;)
Yeah I know what it's made of - but just like every time I drive by the sewage treatment plant - I still complain about the smell :)

· Just some guy, you know?
40,343 Posts
Well thank you all so much you'll !

We're about to sit down to a porterhouse with baked potato and stringbeans.

If there's any foul taste on my pallete, I'll just wash it down with a shot of .....??????

:)
Whiskey! Antiseptic and it comes with a great aged oak barrel flavor!

I'm betting what is in the skimate is bacteria and such. I don't know what a bacteria looks like, but I know it is removed well by skimmers.

Whiskey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.