The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the great idea that I could run two sumps and keep the LS away from my protein skimmer. Now I am having trouble reaching a point that they are both running with out one filling up and the other going down.

Additional info..... I am trying to throttle them back. I don’t have enough water flow from my overflow boxes to keep up.

Any one else have this "great" Idea and how where you able to make it work?

·
Registered
42 Posts
drill both of the sumps and put a 1in bulk head in each. then connect them with 1in flexible tubing so they can be moved around. this keeps the water flow equal. that should work.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
theReefer said:
drill both of the sumps and put a 1in bulk head in each. then connect them with 1in flexible tubing so they can be moved around. this keeps the water flow equal. that should work.
assuming they are both of equal size, shape and altitude.;)

could you describe them a lttle more, or post a pic of the setup? i am feeling lazy tonight. :(

G~

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
I'm running 2 sumps... I've got a 50 gallon rubbermaid where the water overflows from my tank into... This is where I run my skimmer.... It is also the settling tank for ditritus and such.. THe water then goes through two 1 inch U-Tubes that I made from PVC into a 20 gallon LR tank. The LR is just a bunch of rubble that I use for frags and such. My return pump is in this tank with my heaters...

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I also run 2 sumps they are acrylic and are drilled near the top for one to flow into the other 2in holes one on each side of the end
of the sumps.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Buzz_Hog / Casey

This is a sump idea that I've been thinking about? I was thinking of using my old bio-tower & using Bio-Rocks In place of the old bio-balls, Being that they are calcium based rock they would eventually become live?

Buzz_Hog:
Is there a reason you have the skimmer before the LR? Does it make any difference? Am I thinking backwards :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
No, I have it before the LR because that sump is big enough for me to run in inside the sump...

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Doug that is similar to my design, however I have a Biotower with live/baserock and I am using The actually detrius settle out portion for a refugium. I am actually going to combine this for my 75 gal, and use a 55 gal tank, half of it with an acrylic wall (already in the tank so I am gonna use what I gots..) My son is using a 20 gal with a similar setup and uses a plastic "Critter" keeper to keep his pump out of the sand bed.

Ray

·
Registered
118 Posts
I basicly have this and have about 1600 gal/hr running through it. I have 2 of the 100 gal rubbermaid vats. The overflow come into the first one that is the refugium. It sits on concrete blocks about 7-9 inches above the other. I drilled it and put 2 of the 1.5 inch bulkheads with PVC pipes to run to the lower sump where my skimmer and other equipment is. It just overflows through them by gravity. Water level is about 1 inch from the top's edge on the first one. Did that help at all??
I could have drilled them at the bottom and connect them that way also, but the way I did it I am maximizing the amount of water I can have.

Alberto

1 - 11 of 11 Posts