The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even More Clam Problems I think I know why now!

Hi Everyone
I've been have problems with my clam since I bought it.
I put it in the sand it wasn't happy I put it on a lower ledge it wasn't happy I moved it to the top it was happy but not for long. I fed it reef solution it wasn't happy. Now I've stopped feeding it reef solution and guess what it's not happy.
I stopped feeding it reef solution yesterday after it closed up for a second time right after the feeding and stayed closed all day.
Today started off good when I first got up it was open. The MH came on and it opened even more I'm think GREAT it's happy. I fed the fish some cyclopeeze and guess what it closed back up.:mad: Everything els in the tank is happy.
Do they close up after eating?
Is it too high in the tank?
Thanks for any help
Patrick

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Whiskey I fed a pretty good bit because I have 12 fish and lots of coral. I only feed it once a week. LOL this guy has given me soooo much trouble! I fed the cyclopeze around 9:30. I think if this clam makes it I'm going to name it Diva!
Patrick

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Wiskey the mantle my move a little but not allot. I have noticed it's very sensitive to movement when my partner or I walk by the tank it closes up or I should say retracts a little.

ph = 8.4
nitrates= 20 or less
calcium= 500
alk=4.11
kh=11.5

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,755 Posts
Thanks Wiskey the mantle my move a little but not allot. I have noticed it's very sensitive to movement when my partner or I walk by the tank it closes up or I should say retracts a little.

ph = 8.4
nitrates= 20 or less
calcium= 500
alk=4.11
kh=11.5
That's a good sign accually, they should react to changes in light and vibration.

My flow thing has always been if the mantle is flapping around in the flow it's too much, but the mantle should move a bit from time to time.

Perams look fine, a bit on the high end, but fine. I would reccomend not dosing any buffers until your KH drops to about 9 and your CA drops to about 425, then using your buffers to keep it there.

Whiskey

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I figured out whats going on. I was watching the tank to see if the clam would open. Just when it started to open my bi color blenny came over and tried to take a big hunk out of it! This is the same bleany that picks on my cucumber and completely wiped out my blue zoos. The only problem is what do I do now? If I tried to catch him I would have to take the whole tank apart. I wounder if I fed the fish a little more that would help? Any suggestions?
I have to go to work now but will read post when I get home tonight.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,755 Posts
I think I figured out whats going on. I was watching the tank to see if the clam would open. Just when it started to open my bi color blenny came over and tried to take a big hunk out of it! This is the same bleany that picks on my cucumber and completely wiped out my blue zoos. The only problem is what do I do now? If I tried to catch him I would have to take the whole tank apart. I wounder if I fed the fish a little more that would help? Any suggestions?
I have to go to work now but will read post when I get home tonight.
Oh, you got a bi-color? They can be clam nippers.

Feeding more is not the thing to do, get a small fish hook and cut the barb off, bait it, and go fishing. Or the sodabottle trap might work.

Glad you figured out what was happening!
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
LOL this guy has given me soooo much trouble!
Meanwhile, the clam is saying...."This human is giving me soooo much trouble!!...." :mad: :rolleyes: ;)

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,755 Posts
You take a 2 leiter bottle, cut the top off right at the label, take the top part, turn it upside down and stick it in the bottle, now weight it down and bait it. The idea is that the fish will be able to swim in, but not out. It works placed on it's side, or bottom.

Here is one I made to try and catch some FW fish.

Whiskey

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the info i will try it when i get back from work. thanks again

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How long do you think the clam can last closed up? Ok it's in there. What I don't understnad is why cant he swim back out? This guy is no bigger than my little finger at the most.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Once again this morning my clam was opening up nicely with the lights and along comes bully the blenny and attacks the clam. I have the bottle in there but so far no one seems to be interested. I have some rubble in it along with some clam meat. I would try the fish hook but all of my fish are hogs so they all would be after it.I'm still worried my clam may not survive much longer?
Patrick

1 - 20 of 36 Posts