The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:read: I did a search and feel a little better. Just want to double check with you guys to make me feel at ease.;) I set up my tank 2 days ago and fixed a couple leaks I had. No leaks the past 2 days and I am still losing water.:freak: I was a little freaked out. Thought I was leaking water somewhere on the carpet. At the monment, it seems like Im losing about 1/2 gallon a day, if not a little more. This is normal...correct? I live in Florida, house temp stays around 77-79, tank is about 79-81. I have a 50 gal sump. My lighting is 2X 250w MH and 220w VHO's. I have a couple canopy fans also. Please tell me this is normal....
Thanks.....

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
It's normal. Truthfully I'm surprised that you don't have more evaporation than that. Put a fan on the sump and watch what happens! :nuts:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have a sump fan that I yet to install. Should the sump/refugium fan run 24/7 or only when the CF are on?
Thanks..

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Ya the wet carpet is not a good sign, its not caused by evaporation because evaporated water just goes into the air and at the most causes alot of salt creep. Something is leaking if your floor is wet

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Should the sump/refugium fan run 24/7 or only when the CF are on
This will depend on the temperature of your water throughout the day. The fan should only be running when the water needs to be cooled. Mine runs 24/7 because of the pumps in the sump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts