The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am curious if i may need to reduce the amount of feeding for my corals. etss skimmers are suppose to be phytoplanton friendly, and this i guess means that they don't remove too much of the phytoplanton when skimming. i have noticed that my reeftank develops a nice coat of "green" on the glass that is removed with a kent scrapper with softpad, and is put back into the water column. looks as though i might need to reduce my coral feeding to a 2x a week schedule, or add another clam.
any input is welcome!
:cool:

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I say add another clam yahoo:D :dance: :thumbup: :banana:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cracking under severe peer pressure... to much..... to handle..... loosing the will....giving in.... :lol:
i'm gonna check on a small maxima or another derasa, i'd think if i filled an 6"x 6" acrylic contianer (or larger) with sand and crushed coral, and placed the maxima on that. that way i keep the sand contianed, and put liverock rubble to blend it in.
just an idea :idea:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
so, do the clams actually do anything? i mean like do they open and close, or move?

they look nice, but what do they do, besides sit there and eat?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's an awesome, casey!

jay, clams are another type of biological filters for a reef tank. when the clam is open, it is feeding, most of the water is drawn internally and forced out, without the need for the clam to open and close. and when the clam closes, its to expell built up waste material or a defensive reaction.

·
Super Moderator
22,406 Posts
thefatman said:
so, do the clams actually do anything? i mean like do they open and close, or move?

they look nice, but what do they do, besides sit there and eat?
as compared to what Jay? corals? mushrooms?
really tho, clams will close up upon above stimuli,ie: a hand going over,light change etc. other than that, they do the same as other stuff inna tank,,,sit , grow and eat,and filter feed out of the water column

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
who cares what they do I love em:D :banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Super Moderator
22,406 Posts
Casey said:
who cares what they do I love em:D :banana: :banana: :banana:
Right answer Casey!:beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts