The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to establish a 15 or 20g QT. Can I use a basic Marineland Penguin hang on filter or should I get something more sophisticated? Do you have any suggestion to someone who wants to do it right. Should I dip both fish and corals in some sort of solution? What solution(s) do you suggest? <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_238364-->

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
The Penguin filter should work okay for a quarantine tank as it will give you the ability to run activated carbon in it to help remove any medications after you treat the critters in the tank.

Corals and fish are very different and I cannot recommend one dip for both like that. Many times a freshwater dip may be all a fish needs and other times it may have something wrong that requires medications. Most corals do well with a dip in Lugols or some other iodine based solution before going in the tank.

Hopefully others will chime in with a lot more options for setting up the QT as well.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
I want to establish a 15 or 20g QT. Can I use a basic Marineland Penguin hang on filter or should I get something more sophisticated? Do you have any suggestion to someone who wants to do it right. Should I dip both fish and corals in some sort of solution? What solution(s) do you suggest? <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_238364-->

You can't use the same dips. For fish, usually I don't do any preventative dips. I use the QT to monitor their health and then react to anything that may be out of the ordinary. For corals, a good dip is recommended primarily due to the likelihood of pests. Coral revive, tropic marin pro coral cure, or lugol's are all good choices for dips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts