20 gal sump:

filter sock
1 cadlights bio reactor running full blast
1 asm g2 protein skimmer running like a champ
refugium with mud and chaeto

Nitrites 0
Nitrates 30
Phosphates 0

I didnt run a full test because I knew my nitrates were and all the other parameters are usually under control. I upgraded the light about 3 months or so ago. I had an algae bloom probably because I didnt introduce the light slow enough. I have since been getting brown algae on the rock and on the sand. The horseshoe is keeping the sand pretty clean for the time being. Recently I have gotten green algae on the rock and some on the acrylic with a brown film algae on the acrylic as well. The green is pretty hard, I can't just blow it off or scrape it with a tooth brush. I have pink coraline but I dont think its a green coraline but you guys tell me. I know I need to keep doing water changes to get the nitrates under control but what else can I do to get rid of this alage other than blow what I can off with a turkey baster. Thanks. :fish:

I cant get pictures to load so i'll try again later.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Are you using ro/di water? You dont seem to have coral so you could try cutting back the lenght of time the lights are on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am using ro/di water. I forgot to list that I have one piece of rock with about 10 polyp heads or so. I plan on putting more coral I just havnt done so yet.

·
Banned
447 Posts
The green hair algae needs phosphates. You need to lower your phosphate levels and get animals that will eat the algae. While you may be correct in that your new lights added to the algae issue, if they are the correct spectrum lights then they should minimize the problem. You may need to change the Kelvin rating on the lights and get lights with a higher blue rating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts