The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post, so please be forgiving. I have a 55 gal reef tank that has been setup for about a year now. I seem to be struggling to keep my Nitrate levels down. I am sure not to overfeed the fish and I dont think that i have the tank overstocked either. my specs are; 2 Marineland Penguin 350B's, 1 Marineland Seaclone 150 Skimmer, 48" Marineland Reef capable LED light fixture (With built in timer) timed with about 8 hours of daylight, 80 punds of live rock. With regards to fish I have; 2 small Ocellaris clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 blue tang, 2 yellew belly damsels, 1 black leopard wrasse and a Green spotted mandarin. I also have an assortment of corals and anenomes. Up untill lately, the corals have been thriving, but im and noticing some seem to be dying off... The tank is well establised and I am wondering if my problem is with the Marineland Penguin 350's ? I know that these can be known to be Nitrate factories if left too long without proper maintenance. I have been told by some other hobbiest at work that once the tank is well established I don't need to have the refill cartridges in the filter (blue pads containing carbon)... they claim that they run the filter with biomax rings inside of mesh bags.... nothing else to catch dirt an detritis... can anyone confirm this ?

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!
The following is a good link so you can better understand what is happening in your system.
Reefkeeping made easy- what was not explained.

The Filters are part of your problem.
You need to only use them when you are doing a water change.

Filter pads and such collect detritus, then it decays.
HOB filters and canister filters are unable to conver Nitrate.
This require low oxygen and low flow. Filters are neither.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow... Nice link. Seems like alot of info. Thanks for the quick response!!! Seems as though I have some studying to do...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am using Aragonite with a depth of about 2-1/2". Last week I tested my Nitrates, they were at about 110 mg/L. I have done 4 - 10% water changes in the last week and I am now getting test results at about 60 mg/L. This seems to be only a temporary fix as the nitrate level will eventually climb again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts