The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
It could be, I dont know the air intake for the pump, but unless there is a good amount of air, the pump should push enough water on its own to possibly overwelm the skimmer (5" diameter body). There should only be one way to find out.... strap it on! Please keep us posted on how it does. You might have to adapt/mod the pump to suck the most air.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
cool, an old school needlewheel... effective and easy to mesh-mod if you choose to

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
A mesh mod is a modification where you remove the most of the needlewheels except for a few on the very bottom on the impeller in order to attach a plastic mesh such as Flatback Enkamat or Gutter Guard to the impeller. This new "meshed" impeller can chop the air/water mixture into smaller air bubble/water mixes. Often the Mesh will also pull more air rather than water. It is a slightly tricky feat to make a mesh wheel and one has to be a tinker with it because many if the mesh attempts, if not done right, will cause the pump to malfunction.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Oh, and here are some various pinwheels I own, the meshed pinwheel is the third from the left with the yellow backing.

·
Smerg Plankton
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awwww. I see, I can definitely do that. Thanks for the tip. Will post my results.

Thus far the needle wheel pump is barely adequate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts