The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a pair of flameback angels and out of the two one does this very odd move . Out of the clear blue the biggest one of them does a swooping motion almost swimming sideways while doing this comes up out of the swoop with errect fins and it's color is faded. The fish does this for 3-4 minutes and then acts if nothing has happened. Then about 5-10 minutes later it does it again.
Does anyone have any idea's? The tank is a 75g all premeters are in check except trates which are 20 ppm. The tank has been set up for over a year and half and this pair of angels are the only residents. I got them 2 months ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the welcome.

They do run around the tank together for the most part. But as soon as the bigger one starts doing this swooping thing the smaller one high tails it to the other side of the tank. I woundn't think seeing as it's only been 2 month that a home made pair would be ready. Ofcoarse I could be wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since my last post I have seperated the two fish. I have put the one that's acting weird in a 20g. And it's doing the swooping thing still as descibed in my first post. Does anyone know how to approach this problem?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Geoff,

I live around Pinnacle in stokes county. I guess this is going to one of trial and error things with medication I'm thinking it has a better chance of being internal then external. Reason being whether or not it helped are not in the long run I tried a FW dip it didn't do much I don't think. But on the lighter side of things it still eats. So I might try some form of medicated food either metro or prazz. It seem this might be a good game plan since no one has ever ( I guess) witnessed such an event. What do you think?

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
geoff i cant believe i havent seen that site before. i am working on pairing a couple of aurantias right now, and that was a good read.

sorry i cant help with the swoopy thing by offering anything new, the two of you have worked out the suggestions i would have made.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Not sure. Keeping more than one dwarf angel in any tank is a crap shoot and something most would say you should avoid ... dwarfs don't like dwarfs and to my knowledge there is no way to determine whether you have a male/female combo. The swooping motion sounds like std fish posturing .. often a dominance thing trying to establish territory .. sometimes even when they see their own reflection in the glass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts