The Reef Tank banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
made me giggle.
so why do you not like him? the elegance coral fraging? or the fact he is destroying the hobby.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
made me giggle.
so why do you not like him? the elegance coral fraging? or the fact he is destroying the hobby.
One of my favourite EB failures was him going off on RC about how people were going to die if they cooked their live rock. Obviously he did so without reading what was being proposed by "cooking live rock". Then there was the whole Truman Annex thing.
LOL. Yes he does. Did you check out the cool straight jacket looking thing he has on in the mug shot?

rofl

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
i have read that before.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It looks like life has been rough on him the last several years. I saw his mug shot yesterday on another forum, and had to go look up past pictures to compare just to make sure it was the same Eric Hugo Borneman.

Take a look at some of his pictures from just 5yrs ago, compare to that picture, and you get the feeling he has bigger problems than swimming in someone else's pool, and stealing corals

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Looks like some profit was made and wasted on those stolen endangered species. This is the second piece of news that has really made my day. The first piece was just a relief and this is a victory for the hobby... w00t!! Oh happy day!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I just realized that it said that the pool wasnt his own. WOW

So is he going to jail for the truman annex stuff also?

"A man was arrested after police in Sugar Land found him swimming in a backyard pool. The problem? He didn't live there.
Sugar Land police spokesman Doug Adolph said officers went to the house in the 500 block of Alkire Lake Drive around 10 a.m. Wednesday after someone called to report a suspicious person.
When they arrived, they found Eric Hugo Borneman, 45, of Missouri City in the pool. When officers tried to arrest him, Borneman ran away. He was later found hiding inside a nearby house, Adolph said.
Adolph said no further details about the incident were available.
The Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office said Borneman remains in the county jail after being booked on multiple charges, including burglary of a habitation, criminal trespass, evading arrest, resisting arrest, failure to provide identification, and two counts of criminal mischief."

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
LOL. Yes he does. Did you check out the cool straight jacket looking thing he has on in the mug shot?
Suicide Smock. He obviously made comments toward hurting himself or behavior that made others believe he may kill himself.

Kind of sad really... If you look at the behavior and his appearance; he either has a major substance about issue or mental illness... or mental illness brought on by chemical abuse.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So is he going to jail for the truman annex stuff also?
No. He'll never get prosecuted for the theft of all those corals. To the best of my knowledge, he's never disclosed what happened to the couple of grand, of donated money, that was left over after his "Elegance Coral Project", either. IMHO, it should have been passed on to a real research facility, but we'll never know what happened to it.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
it is sad that he has gone that downhill. :( this coral book is quite good. i figured he would be getting a decent amount of money from royalties from that to keep him ok, but maybe other stuff has happened that has limited that stream.

speaking of disgraced hobby experts; what has Shimek been up to lately?

G~

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
it is sad that he has gone that downhill. :( this coral book is quite good. i figured he would be getting a decent amount of money from royalties from that to keep him ok, but maybe other stuff has happened that has limited that stream.

G~
I checked the MD forums and EB seems to have disappeared from there over a year ago.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this coral book is quite good.
I agree. If you can separate fact from opinion. He had easy access to data that typically isn't readily available to hobbyists. He took this information and put it into book form. That part of the book is great. When he starts adding his own opinion, and it's often not stated as opinion, the information can get a little.......... um.......... misleading. As an example, he lists multiple species of coral and describes them as being prone to algae infestations. It's not the corals that are prone to algae infestations. It's his system thats prone to algae infestations. I've never heard of a hobbyists thats had more tank crashes them him. Not even close.

G~
LOL. He's still running his forum with his loyal disciples. I just checked to see if his forum is still active, or if it has been closed down like Bornemans and Calfos, and it's still up and running. He actually posted in it today.

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
Suicide Smock. He obviously made comments toward hurting himself or behavior that made others believe he may kill himself.

Kind of sad really... If you look at the behavior and his appearance; he either has a major substance about issue or mental illness... or mental illness brought on by chemical abuse.
im voting for mental illness caused by chemical abuse.
how else would you end up half way across the country, naked in a random swimming pool?

·
Administrator
46,690 Posts
I am sorry to hear about this coming down the way it is, I met EB a couple times before the Truman Annex thing, he seemed like a nice guy, sad to see him slip like this, but Karma can be harsh :(

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.