The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 783 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Well Lauri, Billy, Brian, and Joanne are all real people and their real email addresses are posted there. So it shouldn't be hard for anyone to find out if that blog is real or not. Just drop them a email and ask what's up.

I can't imagine that someone would post a blog that obvious to check out and it not be true. ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is not my blog. I know whose it is but please don't PM me regarding same unless you've known me for a LONG time as I'm a CPA and only have a limited amount of time before April 15th. I won't respond as I don't have the time to get involved in this.

This situation is much uglier than it appears up front. However, I don't have time to get into that either. There's a few people here who were involved in the BB Crash thread and once all of the info is out, it will make sense why there might have been some overreaction on that thread.

Again, please don't PM me for details.

While these are official government documents and were obtained by a Freedom of Information Act request, please don't everyone willy-nilly flood the emails that are also now public knowledge for info. If one doesn't want to dig into the details of FOIA #2007-00078 and #2007-00068 please designate ONE person to email the people and report back. If a hundred people swarm them, no one will be answered.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I will be at Truman annex in 6 days. Any idea where I should go to check this out? I snorkel, walk, wade, fish and kayak this area when I go. I missed vacationing there in 2005 and 2006. I hope they didnt destroy my favorite secret places. There are some very cool favias, sponges and brains in that area but you have to know where to look. Homeland Security will chase off non military types from this area at the business end of an M-60 machine gun with no hesitation.

Jim

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a clue Jim.

Go to the areas where you found cool things. If you get shot, we will notice you haven't posted in a while. :)

LOL....just kidding. While I don't have a clue, my suspicion is that your favorite place is no longer there.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Wow -- thank you for the link. Really incredible.

I hope more FOIA emails get posted, because I dont know what the precursor to NOAA wanting the corals back was, exactly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I will do my best to peek around. Somehow the HS guys know if you are supposed to be there and simply stay in the shadows. If you arent supposed to be there they appear quickly. Its spooky. They show up in a haze gray triple Honda equipped outboard skiff, quiet as smoke. They point a MG at the offending citizen, finger on the trigger locked and loaded. The people leave very quickly. Its wild. In contrast I have been poking around in weird places all week with small nets, kayaks, snorkel gear, cast nets and fishing rods and have never been approached by anyone of authority. But you know you were being watched. I am still grateful to be able to vacation there. Its very private behind the fence. The fence being guarded be VERY serious Marines who vaguely point their weapon at you as they check your ID and car.

Jim

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes....this is a hobby Jim. It's not worth looking down the barrel of a gun. Your life is more valuable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To quote Eric himself-

"No. It's not real. This is just another in a seemingly undending series of tragic attempts to discredit my work spanning some several years now by persons unaware and uninvolved in any of the issues. There will be repurcussions for these defamatory blogs, posts, and sites and I am actively involved in stopping them. To comment further is to give credence to these ridiculous statements which anyone who knows me knows to be false.

Of course, the posts, emails, and wesites are carefully anonymized to prevent their identification, although those efforts have been unsuccessful. That about says it all."

·
Registered
26 Posts
So who knows what this is all about. I am just glad that noaa is doing everything they possibly can to learn and take care of the beautiful corals that are native to Florida. I am sure everyone makes mistakes along the way but the main point is that there are actually people in our government who get paid to watch and save the precious sealife that live off our coasts.
Thanks NOAA!!
I wonder how much money in funding our government gives noaa each year to research and save our native sealife?

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
If I had done that, I might get rid of as much evidence as I could and then come up with some lame story about how someone sabotaged my system.

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
If I had done that, I might get rid of as much evidence as I could and then come up with some lame story about how someone sabotaged my system.
ha! ha ! ha ! :rotflmao: you are sooo silly !

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Wow -- thank you for the link. Really incredible.

I hope more FOIA emails get posted, because I dont know what the precursor to NOAA wanting the corals back was, exactly.
According to the emails, the main reasons were that Eric had requested the corals, through another 'save the reef' group, for research.

He put them in with Pacific corals to contaminate them, so they couldn't be returned or confiscating them would be a moot point.

..and he was running a chop shop to cut them up and sell them for a profit.

We should let every hobbyist come down here and poach corals, get a truck load of corals, chop them up, and sell them.

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
This situation is much uglier than it appears up front.
Yes it is.

That is way too much coral, pounds of corals, to have come out of the lab.

Eric and his group were permitted to collect from the Navy canal.

Eric was bragging that he had A. palmata and A. cervicornis. Two corals that do not grow in the Navy canal at all, they only grown on the reef line.

Where did those corals come from, and how did Eric have them in his possession?

1 - 20 of 783 Posts