The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a serious problem with nuisance brown mushrooms. I have had an explosion in them lately, and absolutely have to get rid of them as they are stinging and taking over my other specimens. I've attached some pictures here:

I am especially concerned as they are growing up onto some of my other soft corals, and not sure I can simply mechanicaly pull them off as they break kind of like a weed, leaving a bit of a "root" base behind. Is there something I can inject into their bases with a syringe, etc.? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for any suggestions!
:help:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You could use kalk paste.
But, the problem with killing that many shrooms is that you have to do it a little at a time, or have a mini cycle from the explosion of rotting, dead shrooms.
I would do it slowly, depending on how often/how big your water changes are, I'd do a little bit a day or 2 before you change water.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
I have cut the bulk of them away and laid a layer of Kalk down in a still tank for 20 mins and then siphoned it out. Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses!

So i think part of the problem is i had about 10 of them and i tried to just rip them off the rock - and they've come back with a vengeance (really i thought i got everything including the base, but i guess not).

Any idea how to get them off the base of some of the softies... they're actually growing up the stalk? I'm worried if i inject the base i'll kill both and if i rip it off i'd damage the other as well. Think i could just smear it on the central portion?

'Nother question - if i mix up a paste, should it be thick like toothpaste or more like a slurry? Guess i'm worried about the overall effect on the tank pH as i'm only working with a 90 (total about 150 gal)...

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I typically do a w/c and siphon after using kalk paste. I use a paste and eye dropper since I can't get a needle into an aptasia stalk. I have never had a tank crash due to kalk paste but ph is good to monitor to be safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts