The Reef Tank banner

Equipment prospects

795 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Travillion 
#1 ·
Alright folks, I am hoping you can all help me with opinions on the following products that I found at my LFS.

First up is this JBJ 28 Gallon Nano Reef kit. I was planning on going for a 40B, but this didn't seem like a bad option either. Thoughts?

Next up we have an API Tap Water Filter for $80CDN (yes I am Canadian). Are these any good?

Now we have a Jebao WaveMaker. It has a sticker at $99, but was actually priced at $69.99CDN.

This is my LFS' live rock, priced at $8.99 a pound (a little high?), but what I really want to know is if it looks any good.

And lastly, this is my coral selection. Once again, I think the prices are high and the frags are fairly small for most of them, but maybe that is just me.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd get the 40b, personally. More options and easier maintenance, imo. I'd skip the tap water filter and go for an RODI unit. Better water and lasts longer - I've heard the cartridges in the one you're looking at don't last very long at all. So though you pay more for the unit you save a lot of money in the long run and get better water.

#3 ·
Thank you for your input.
My local water store (what are stores called that sell water...?) sells RODI water for $3.25 per 5 gallon jugs. I am thinking about just skipping the RODI system and going with this method since I'd only be doing around 5-10 gallon water changes anyways. I also live only a 2-3 minute drive from the store, so no biggy picking the jugs up. I have a small submersible heater too that I could plop into the jugs until the temps were the same as my tank, and then add my salt mix and at last, syphon it to my tank. Would this method work, or am I missing something?

And a quick question on live rock. Do I need to get all live rock, or can I seed dry rock with live rock, and if so, what would be the LR to DR ratio?

#4 ·
That will work. :) I did that for a long time actually - bought RODI from my LFS. I do have my own unit now though, and it is very nice being able to make it at home and not have to haul it around. As for mixing the salt, I have some Home Depot 5g buckets with little cheap powerheads and heaters.

You can actually use all dry rock if you want to. :) It just takes longer for the bacteria to populate it. I did what you're suggesting - my ratio was 40% live and 60% dry.

#5 ·
Awesome help once again, thank you.
Hopefully you can help me with one last question. The LR at the store is labeled as cured (which I assume is why it's priced at $8.99/lb), so could I just put it straight into my tank then, or should I do a few swishes in a separate saltwater bucket first?

#8 ·
If it's from a trusted source, then yes, bringing it home in water and just monitoring it are fine. Most LFSs send it home in a bag or box (at least here). I've transferred rock from my own tanks to new tanks in water to avoid a cycle. But from an unknown source I personally would cycle it out anyway by throwing a piece of shrimp in there and seeing the nitrogen cycle working with my own eyes before adding a fish. The die off would just add to that ammonia source in that case. That way you know the bacteria is in abundance and doing it's job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.