The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to epoxy some monti frags to the overflow in my tank. I tried superglue, superglue gel, and some gel stuff Lfs said was the best and they just want work for me under water. I turned my return and closed loop pumps off to give it time to cure and still no go. so if anyone has a good way that would be great.

·
Premium Member
19,379 Posts
I want to epoxy some monti frags to the overflow in my tank. I tried superglue, superglue gel, and some gel stuff Lfs said was the best and they just want work for me under water. I turned my return and closed loop pumps off to give it time to cure and still no go. so if anyone has a good way that would be great.
go to Home despot and look in the adhesive section for underwater putty. It is in a stick that is dark green and about the size of a roll of nickles. Cut off a 2 cm long piece, roll it between your hands like making a snake to mix it uniformley, then wrap the snake around the piece you want to affix and stick it where you wnt it to go, it works best if you either hold it for 5 min or use a stick long enough to hold it in place (I use the blunt end of a long Kent scraper lodged against something for pressure).

Sometimes it helps to lodge a toothpic into the rock where you want the sample to stick, sometimes I use two if it is on a verticle surface and lodge the epoxy between them.

HTH

·
Registered
443 Posts
It won't easily stick to a slippery surface like your overflow box. You may have to scuff it with a piece of tank rubble. Also keep in ming that right after you kneed the epoxy, is when it's the stickiest! The longer you wait, the harder it is to apply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.