The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 65g reef with about 50lbs of LR and started adding corals, some are doing great and some just won't grow!! I've had all my Perameters tested they are all just about perfect so I'm moving to lighting issue.
I have 36" t5 4 that is, 3 white 1 blue...lights run from 11-11 and whites 1-7, my concern is maybe lights maybe to high off water, because I have them screwd on the very top of my hood, maybe 12-15" off water with proper reflectors pointed down.

I'm just considering getting either MH or LED but they seem to be so expensive...any opinions?

· Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the difference between T5 n T5HO? I have individual reflectors...so u wound add some wood n mount them closer to the water?

· Registered
8,356 Posts
T5HO bulbs are double the wattage of T5 bulbs.

The T# refers strictly to bulb diameter. A T5 bulbs is 5/8ths of an inch in diameter. A T8 bulb is one inch in diameter.

I would use something to space them down closer to the water.

· Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got T5s then, and suggestion on how to get them closer or have u seen someone else who's had this situation n made some adjustments

· Registered
1,084 Posts
You should consider selling the fixture and getting a new one, I would also go with more blue bulbs. If you dont want to swtich the entire fixture you can also consider switching the ballast to a HO ballast. I've done it before its not that hard.

· Registered
8,356 Posts
What wattage are your current bulbs?

What kind of reflectors?

Can you post a pic of your current setup? That will help with some mounting suggestions.

· Registered
1,084 Posts
I suppose you could but bulbs made for regulare output T5s aren't really made to keep corals. The selection and quality of HOT5 bulbs are much better. Now are you sure its regulard output T5? I can't think of a single fixture that has four bulbs that is not HOT5. Pull one of the bulb and check the wattage a 36" HOT5 should be 39watt.

· Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's 2 retrofit kits with 2 bulbs each making a 4 buLb set-up...at 39w each, I haven't had any trouble keeping corals actually had some growth but I want to get some Acro n want to make sure I have the proper lighting....

Is there a way I can convert those kits to T5HO?

· Lost At Sea
1,513 Posts
I too have a 4 bulb T5ho unit for my 65g. If/when you change bulbs be sure to invest in ATI brand bulbs. They make a WORLD of difference. You'll definitely want to keep the fixture lower. Even with my light sitting about 1.5" from the surface, most of my corals are mid-upper level in the tank. Very little is happy near the bottom save for one mushroom. Growth hasn't been at a fast pace per say, but they have remained healthy and happy.

Since switching 2 of my 4 bulbs to ATI brand (2 ATI BLUE+ to replace my blue actinic bulbs) the coloring has been amazing! The corals have perked up even more and some, like my frogspawn and zoas seem to be fuller. I'll be switching out my 2 whites for the ATI Aquablue special (or 1 ATI Aquabluespecial and 1 KZ Fiji purple for color) and I believe the improvement will continue.

As you've added a reflector, just be careful if you go to ATI bulbs. You may have to lower some of your corals as they will need to readjust to the output.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.