The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Warden's Prisoner
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There comes a time in this hobby when one has to say, "enough is enough". I hate bristle worm. I know that there are those who say bristle worm are good for the tank. Well, maybe one or two, but I think when the count reaches up to 30, a line has to be drawn. In addition I have seen some look a tad bit beefy for my tastes. The final straw is that they destroyed my feather duster. Crawled inside of the tube and ate the worm.

All of the above leads me to say that Coralife's "Trap 'Em" for bristle worms works great. I put that trap in there last night and caught eight this morning. If anyone has ever wondered about how effective that trap is, then I will tell you that it works.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I had quite a few a couple of months ago, some were getting to be very "beefy" as you say. I stopped feeding so much and my bristle worm populatipon has dropped considerably. I am of the opinion that having a few bristle worms are good for the ecosystem but like you said, i don't want to see those huge fat things crawling all over my tank.

·
11,345 Posts
For what its worth, i would be moreinclined to believe that they were being opportunistic as far as eating your featherduster, and that it was either already dead or unhealthy. Dont get me wrong, i used to feel the same way and have sepnt an embarassing amount of time in the pursuit of the WORMS!!!!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Okay I don't know if there are different types of bristle worms or not but the ones I had were tiny, the largest being maybe an inch. At one point I had hundreds of these things and tried the trap but got maybe one. So this was before I found trt and I did everything to try and kill them including cooking my rock and boiling my sand. Even after that they came back. So I finally gave up because got tired of looking at an empty tank. Eventually they dwindled away and from time to time may see one or so but not like when I first set up that tank. Glad the trap is working for you tho.

·
The Warden's Prisoner
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fly Guy said:
For what its worth, i would be moreinclined to believe that they were being opportunistic as far as eating your featherduster, and that it was either already dead or unhealthy. Dont get me wrong, i used to feel the same way and have sepnt an embarassing amount of time in the pursuit of the WORMS!!!!
He (featherduster) could have been unhealthy. He just would attach himself to rocks the way I had him previously. Once he was in the sand the hermit crabs started picking at the secreted part of shell. As far as the bristle worm, they must have incredible sense of smell. If I put mysis shrimp to feed my fish they start coming out. Maybe only one or two might make it two the substrate. In any case I am glad to see that the trap worked for me and it did not turn out to be just some gimmick:dance:

·
11,345 Posts
Are you talking about the light green trap?? I coudnt catch more than a couple at a time with that thing. And when i tried i had enough bristleworms in the syustem that any half cup of substrate i grabbed would produce 50-100 worms. Im not exaggerating. Funny how the same thing can work for some and not others. I DID have luck however taking a piece of pantyhose and putting a cube or two of formula 1 in it. Put it just under the substrate at night for about 1/2 hour and pull it out with a bucnh of bristleworms stuck in it. Needless to say, i could have done that every day until forever came and still not hae gotten them out of that system.

·
The Warden's Prisoner
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fly Guy said:
Are you talking about the light green trap?? I coudnt catch more than a couple at a time with that thing. And when i tried i had enough bristleworms in the syustem that any half cup of substrate i grabbed would produce 50-100 worms. Im not exaggerating. Funny how the same thing can work for some and not others. I DID have luck however taking a piece of pantyhose and putting a cube or two of formula 1 in it. Put it just under the substrate at night for about 1/2 hour and pull it out with a bucnh of bristleworms stuck in it. Needless to say, i could have done that every day until forever came and still not hae gotten them out of that system.
Yeah, It could turn out to be an ongoing battle, but I do take some comfort in knowing that when I ever I urge I can get a few out.

Great tank shots. A tank like that is enough motivation for me to disrupt those nightly bristle worm meetings.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
nothing really wants to eat a bristleworm.

if you are having a bristleworm problem, than you are feeding to much. cut down on the feeding or increase the skimming and water flow. getting rid of the sand will also help. the really big ones have a harder time moving through the rocks than through the sand.

those traps are useless.

G~

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I know that the traps work... my friend has used it to decrease his worm population immensely. I don't have a problem with them anymore... I cut down on the feeding of everything in the tank.

·
Administrator
46,887 Posts
The traps work for some and not for others, but Geoffs right its really pretty basic Ecosysten Dynamics 101
Bristle worms are scavengers for the most part, there are some fireworms that are more specialized coral feeders, but like any given ecosystem the number of scavengers is directly proportionate to the food supply. In times of plenty they will multiply like rabbits, when food is scarce the numbers will dwindle, the weaker will suffer first and wind up feeding the larger healthier ones so eventually you may wind up with a few good sized or a Trophy worm like Steve W pulled out of his tank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts