The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
No... but you need an air pump or something to maintain proper O2 levels in the water. And try to replace the filter/powerheads ASAP.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
it really depends on how many fish you have in it. you really need to get an air pump set up for it as soon as possible. Ive also heard that when in a pinch, you can take a jug and scoop up some of the water in your tank and pour it back in. Doing this should help with gas exchange and oxygenate your water. Someone chime in if Im wrong. If anything run to your nearest wallyworld and get a cheap air pump and that should hold you over

·
11,345 Posts
how many fish are we talking in a 4 gallon nano? :confused:

Im not sure how long before they run out but like already said an airstone in the water would be great but if you dont have that i would change 1 gallon every hour or so to be safe...it wouldnt hurt to shake it(the gallon you are changing) up a little too to give it a little extra air content.....

again thats just a guess, but i think a guess on the safe side...

good luck

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
afbengochea said:
it really depends on how many fish you have in it. you really need to get an air pump set up for it as soon as possible. Ive also heard that when in a pinch, you can take a jug and scoop up some of the water in your tank and pour it back in. Doing this should help with gas exchange and oxygenate your water. Someone chime in if Im wrong. If anything run to your nearest wallyworld and get a cheap air pump and that should hold you over
Thats what I was doing when the power was out before my Husband got the inverter bought and hooked up :)

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
we had a nasty hurricane last year that caught me with my pants down, so I had my brother scooping up water and pouring it back in while I was on the search for a power inverter. Luckily we were only out of power for a couple of days so everything survived just using the inverter

·
Registered
345 Posts
Technicaly speaking the tank will exchange gases at the surface and that is where the oxygen enters the water. Using an airstone (or bubbles as I like to call em) does not truly put any extra oxygen into the water directly.
The bubbles as they reach the surface move the water the tiniest amount creating little itty bitty waves on top and this increases teh surface area of the surface therefore allowing for more oxygen to be pulled from the air!
I found this in three different Saltwater aquariums books written by Doctors smarter than me.

Don't know how that helps (put a spoon in and stir!), but maybe it will comfort you some ?

·
Registered
616 Posts
NYer said:
Technicaly speaking the tank will exchange gases at the surface and that is where the oxygen enters the water. Using an airstone (or bubbles as I like to call em) does not truly put any extra oxygen into the water directly.
The bubbles as they reach the surface move the water the tiniest amount creating little itty bitty waves on top and this increases teh surface area of the surface therefore allowing for more oxygen to be pulled from the air!
I found this in three different Saltwater aquariums books written by Doctors smarter than me.

Don't know how that helps (put a spoon in and stir!), but maybe it will comfort you some ?
How about an eggbeater? That should generate a lot of action.

·
Registered
300 Posts
cobray said:
How about an eggbeater? That should generate a lot of action.
As long as you don't catch a fish with it!!!!
!:bigeek:

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
When my 20 L had a complete equipment fiailure, nothing was runnung. the skilter 400 stopped working. I Put in a protein skimmer airsotne towards the bottom of the tank and fired er up with an air pumpon full blast. fish survived 48 hrs until I got a new filter

·
Administrator
46,890 Posts
The airstone wilol move water around and thats what cause the reoxygenation, the more water movement the better off you are, but it begs the question,
How many fish in a 4g nano

IMO if your fish load can't survive 24hrs without backup life support the tank is over stocked.
SW has less oxygen carrying capacity than FW and more complex chemistry re: waste and stuff, when things go bad, they really go bad , quickly :(

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
You can pick up an airstone and pump for under $20 anywhere...and any pet store that stocks a decent amount of aquarium supplies will have pumps/powerheads. Yeah, you may pay a little more than waiting for it to come from an online vendor, but you'll pay more for that in lost fish if it comes down to it.

My husband used an egg beater in my old 55 once. He called me at work to tell me the power was out so I told him to aerate the water using a pitcher to take water out and pour it back in, but he saw the egg beater in the drawer. LOL He gave the water a good beating every hour until the power came back on.

And blowing air into the tank with a straw? Right now I have the staff at one of the properties I manage working on team building. They all have a little fish bowl with two neon tetras in it...and they have to use a straw. :funny:

·
Registered
677 Posts
NYer said:
When i'm mixing asw i have a powerhead and a airstone in the barrel. If i just pointed the powerhead to the surface will that do the same job as the airstone? reason i ask is my air pump is more noisy than my tank that has a turnover of 60x , this thing vibrates my kitchen and hardly kicks out any air!
I guess the answer is yes as i have a PH pointed at the surface of my tank and not an airstone

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Right now I have the staff at one of the properties I manage working on team building. They all have a little fish bowl with two neon tetras in it...and they have to use a straw. :funny:[/quote]

That is funny but not for nothing we exhale carbon dioxide so aren't there making a air exchage with CO2 not O2 just a thought. I like the egg beater thing.

Fred

1 - 18 of 18 Posts