The Reef Tank banner

Emergency help

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Geoff 
#1 ·
I turned off my Iwaki 70rlt return pump to try and get a green chromis out of the overflow and now it won't turn on.... Does anybody have any idea why this would happen? I don't want to leave everything off overnight....

#4 · (Edited)
Is it primed?

Some info a faq and some reapir info. I don't know a thing about marine depot, dont support them dont know em and dont care but they were the first guys I saw with a link for your pump.

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_pu_iwaki_info.asp

In the unlikely event there are any problems with Iwaki water pumps or warranty work is needed at some point, please contact Iwaki directly at 508.429.1440 for an RGA. Do NOT send a pump back to Iwaki without an RGA number.

#7 ·
Thanks for all of your replies. It's things like this that just make me absolutely crazy. I tried hitting it with a hammer and other large objects without any luck. This morning as a last ditch attempt I connected power, picked it up and started shaking it like a mad man. What do you know, it started working...... You would think with an expensive pump like an Iwaki I wouldn't be having these kinds of problems.

Thanks again for all of your help.

#12 ·
Glad Tom said it - I was thinking it as I read. Probably some sand or gunk in the impeller, just enough to make it not want to start up again. A missing eel has been known to cause such a problem ... (EWWWW! :eek: )

I don't know about Iwaki (never have worked on one) but with some of the magnetic drive pumps (ie: Sen) if the pump runs dry for any length of time (read: absent-minded veterinary office workers fail to top off tank), the impeller magnet can overheat and crack, and the pump will continue to work until it's unplugged, then the magnet casing will swell and the pump won't come back on. Hate it when that happens....

Glad you got it to work - but a good cleaning periodically is recommended and necessary.

When you re-plumb the cut PVC, splurge and stick a union in there, so you can undo it easily next time, and put it back easily :D

Jenn

#18 ·
are iwaki's brushless? has the pump ever been turned off? sometimes if pumps are never turned off for extended periods of time, carbon can build up the brushes causing exactly what you just described. it happens all the time with computer HD's. striction is what it is called. a firm tap usually fixes it. if the impeller is clean when you go to clean it, than this is what happened. there is not a real cure for it, but to take the entire thing apart to clean the motor brushes.

being that iwaki's are external pumps only i can easily see them being either magnetic drive or brush drive.

G~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.