The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fish are dying with no warning. I have a 55g tank, with live rock and sand, has been set up for almost a year. I battled ich even went through hurricane sandy with no losses. Yesterday for no reason my coral beauty which was my first and most resilient fish died with no warning. My new copperband just died today and my green mandarin looks like he is on his way out. All levels are ok. My coral is doing great. The only new thing i noticed is some red and maroon colored algae (almost hair-like) growing all over. Did a 20% water change on sunday and it has already come back completely all over the tank. I dont want to oose anymore fish fish PLEASE HELP!

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,665 Posts
Please give us all your readings(I know you say there fine) but maybe your not testing everything or missed something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ammonia is at 0, Nitrite is 0, PH is 8.0, Nitrates are about 17, not exactly sure of the phosphates level I am at work right now and my wife is not sure how to test for that. I did a water change sunday and I checked the levels yesterday again. The phosphates were a little high but I don't remember the exact number

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the coral beauty was dead in the morning. All his color was gone and his fins were all torn. The copperband was fine last night and this morning. Then just stopped swimming and floated around

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My fish are dying with no warning. I have a 55g tank, with live rock and sand, has been set up for almost a year. I battled ich even went through hurricane sandy with no losses. Yesterday for no reason my coral beauty which was my first and most resilient fish died with no warning. My new copperband just died today and my green mandarin looks like he is on his way out. All levels are ok. My coral is doing great. The only new thing i noticed is some red and maroon colored algae (almost hair-like) growing all over. Did a 20% water change on sunday and it has already come back completely all over the tank. I dont want to oose anymore fish fish PLEASE HELP!
Tell us what coral you have and any other creatures. Sounds more like toxins from coral or something else. I think I know Geoff well enough to assume he is leaning toward oxygen deprivation, although without any real reason for that, save for maybe toxins or sever outbreaks of some kind we will not be able to pinpoint that.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
those levels mean zero, as you can tell by the death of the fish. :(

what is your pH? the fact that the fish are dead in the morning point to low O2 in the system from bacterial activity at night. probably from the implications from Sandy.

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
mrplum- then why would the toxins only affect the fish at night, and not the other critters in the system? what toxins affect fish only and not the other corals? just asking, most of the time toxins affect simpler organisms first.

G~

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mrplum- then why would the toxins only affect the fish at night, and not the other critters in the system? what toxins affect fish only and not the other corals? just asking, most of the time toxins affect simpler organisms first.

G~
Come to think of it, a few weeks ago I lost about 4 turbo snails and my sally light foot crab died about a month ago, but that was because she got stuck as she was molting

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

G~
Not only affect fish at night but may have.
Signs of Coral Competition
<q> </q> Invertebrate Toxicity
<cite>Stan Hauter</cite>

• "Wilting" coral polyps.
  • Appearance of skeletons on existing corals.
  • Formation of sweeper and/or marginal tentacles.
  • Corals redirecting growth patterns.
  • Cessation of coral growth.
  • Dead or dying fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts