The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know emergency calling now say my fish has ich, or my fish won't eat.

I need real emergency advice. My GFI keeps tripping. I started a thread earlier call GFI tripping or something similar but now it is reaching PIA proportiones. To update, last 5 hours, everyhing was fine but i fed the tank, then 5 minute trip sessions. looked at temp, 74. was 78. SO now it might be a heater malfunction but have never heard of heaters tripping GFI (just nuking or cooling a tank) return pump might be an issue and have replacement in house but having installed it yet. Waiting to see if what i have unplugged will not trip the GFI. Already have sleeping bag beside tank for a long night. Any advise???

I am going to put the new return pump on the tank tonight but unsure how temp of new equipment and the smaller backup heater is going to effect the tank. It is already getting late. If only i would party like i used to. I would see sunrise with the tank.

Any help would be apprecited.

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
i asked hubby he's does some electrical work and he said it sounded like the gfci it self went bad since it keeps tripping let me know if it keeps doing it hubby has friends who know more about electric then he does . hope it works out and you don't loose anything

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
the internal components of the heater probably broke, and it can no longer moniter the wattage it is putting in, and with everything else plugged in, it is overloading the load for the GFCI... Now, I would isolate it. unplug everything, and 1 ata time, plug something in, and turn it on. Now do you feel a shock from the tank?? are the fish/coral stressing??

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advise. I put the new return pump on the tank and it has been more downhill stuff. If anyone has a sense of humor, i tried to put the ball valve on the top of the pump. It shot it off and saltwater shot all over the floor and inside the stand. Hmmm day seems to get .... Well it drives me to drinking. The GFI hasn't tripped in a half hour since the new "gurgling" pump was installed and the heater was shut off. Unforunately the suction cups that came with the pump do not work and the pump is sucking air like nobodies business. I now have the microbubble tank from H. As long as the GFI doesn't trip tonight, i can regroup in the morning and try to figure out a new solution.

I will keep postin if anythin new arrises tonight. I do have a 4 gallon jug of NSW that has been stirring the last 3 days. Worst case, i will acclimate the fish and a few corals to my water change bin.

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
well hope it works out for you it's bed time for me hope you get some rest also . just think one day far from now you'lll look back and laugh at tonight

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
the internal components of the heater probably broke, and it can no longer moniter the wattage it is putting in, and with everything else plugged in, it is overloading the load for the GFCI... Now, I would isolate it. unplug everything, and 1 ata time, plug something in, and turn it on. Now do you feel a shock from the tank?? are the fish/coral stressing??
GFCI's do not monitor load, that is what a circuit breaker or fuse does. A GFCI monitors current flow. Here is a website with an explanation of how a GFCI works.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm

As I mentioned in your other thread, the ground probe that you have is the difference in why your GFCI is tripping from a failed heater.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
ok, so right idea, just wrong wording...

and you have a grounding probe?? that is probably why you wont feel a shock from the tank... unplug it, and everything else, and do the test I mentioned above until you feel a shock from the tank...
Advice went from bad to worse. Please do not follow this suggestion. Any electrical troubleshooting should be done with a meter not your hand. Its just common sense.

Leave the ground probe in place.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Advice went from bad to worse. Please do not follow this suggestion. Any electrical troubleshooting should be done with a meter not your hand. Its just common sense.

ok, maybe i should stop now... ;) And yeah.. meter would make sense!!

I just though the probe would neutralize the electrical current flowing in the tank so you could not feel it, so would the meter be able to measure it?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
FWIW, I've seen GFI's trip from dirty pumps (especially submersibles)...apparently the drag on the impeller is enough to somehow cause a what looks like a fault.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Agreed...while unlikely that could be a recipe that could kill you.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More good suggestions. So far ....even though the tank had a 5 hour good period with all old equipment running, had a good hour of running since changes. Got a nasty new loud gurrgling pump and threw a back up heater in sump and disconnected the old heater. Pretty much narrows it down to one or the other. Temp has raised to 75 1/2 with the small backup i threw in the sump. Micro bubbles are completely covering the tank but that is the last of my worries when dealing with temp and no power.

I am still tempted to catch my fish and acclimate them to my NSW bin. salinity is right and temp, just no light but 1 powerhead. It is getting late, maybe i will just try to ride the night out and see what happens. Either way i am camping with the tank tonight.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FWIW, I've seen GFI's trip from dirty pumps (especially submersibles)...apparently the drag on the impeller is enough to somehow cause a what looks like a fault.
Yeah when the power went out last week and i hooked the return pump up to a 12 V inverter, it turned over for a split second and then completely died. When power was restored, it didn't fire up at all until i dissembled it and ran clean water through it. It started several days later. That was last friday. The GFI tripping started wednesday and increasingly gotten worse every day. The heater dropping temp is a new thing today. Maybe the heater didn't like being shutoff about 7 to 8 times today that the GFI tripped. So....heater could be the issue but i am kinda leaning towards pump failure even though i cleaned the pump, impellar, and anything else i could think of. This new pump and old heater might get me through the night. Unfortunately, if i put enough water in the sump to make gurgling new pump happy, if shutdown occurs it is going to flood the floor....again.

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
so how is it today hope everythings doing ok

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been a few days and everything seems fine. Was able to remove the new pump and put the old one back in and it seems to be running better and quieter than ever. The new pump i got is a little larger so it was shooting water about an inch above my screen lid! And i couldn't keep it low enough in the sump to not suck in air.

When i upgrade my stand and sump i will allow for this when i build the sump and i plan on raising the tank maybe a good 5 inches so maybe the head loss will match the new pump better. Just will have to experiement with which pump works out.

Thanks for everyones help.:thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts