The Reef Tank banner

Emergency Ammonia Spike Help

991 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jadinop 
#1 ·
I've had my 135G Reef Tank for about 3 months now, everything has been fine until I decided to feed the copepods phytoplankton yesterday. I believe i added way too much about 1 teaspoonful. This afternoon all of my corals closed up and the ammonia level is 7 PPM! I immediately added Ammo Lock, and will do a water change tomorrow morning as it's going to require some trips to the fish store. Is there any kind of Ammonia removing filter/media I can buy tonight at petsmart? Please let me know!

#2 ·
Petsmart stocks differently based on region so I cant help you with a brand name but yes they have ammonia absorbing material at most.

Also where are you located? I am about to do 50 gallons worth of water changes, you are welcome to that water and any salt I have on hand if you need it. I know that 50 gallons is used water but its has zero ammonia, trite and trate so no harm in an emergency.

#3 ·
What actual product did you use?

1 teaspoon of good phytoplankton would have zero effect on a 135 gallons of water. I occasionally dose 1/2 to 1 full cup of live phyto to my tanks (110 g and 150g) without any issue.

#4 ·
I used phytofeast. I actually realized that my skimmer air hose got blocked and the Skimmer stopped working! Cleaned it out and now have the ammonia at 0.2ppm thanks to Ammo Lock and Amquel Plus, will keep a close eye of course. Thank god for Xenia coral and their ability to sound alarms for bad water parameters :)

#6 ·
The recomended dose for phytofeast is 6.5ml (1.3 teaspoons) per 100g with a max recomended dose of 32ml (6.5 teaspoons). Not sure how much the cap holds.
http://www.reefnutrition.com/phytofeast_directions.html

Not sure what's going on with your tank but neither that amount of phytofeast or your skimmer not working would cause ammonia to peak like that.

What kind of filtration are you running?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.