The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all! New to the site as a poster, but been following for a while. I just put a new zoanthid frag in my nano tank. My emerald, who has been friendly with all the other corals as of yet, wandered over to investigate. He then RIPPED the newly glued frag, carried it off like a football running back, pulling pieces off of it while he ran. I chased it down and rescued it, but it's looking a little tattered. You guys ever have an emerald target specific corals like that? I will admit, after my initial freak out, it was pretty comical.

·
Registered
120 reef 40g trigger emerald sump kessil ap700 light 6ish fish
584 Posts
Always a risk with crabs from my understanding.... hope he was just being a snot and is over it now... and that your coral recovers

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Welcome to TRT! While I feel bad for your poor zoas your description did make me laugh. :D Unfortunatley yes, emeralds can sometimes be real jerks when it comes to coral. I had remove mine because it tore into two different corals.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Ive always wanted one because its my understanding that they can have quite the personality. Every time I have setup a tank I just cant bring myself to do it after reading posts like these.....Theres a funny one floating around here about 2 emeralds that went nuts and started destroying everything after being model citizens for years.

·
Registered
120 reef 40g trigger emerald sump kessil ap700 light 6ish fish
584 Posts
Reading on here is what turned me off them... made my brother pick another critter.... blood red fire shrimp... i was kind enough to let each of my family members pick 1 critter to add to my tank... lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to say, our emerald has a pretty big personality. I'd agree. He's normally pretty hilarious. He likes to climb to the top of the tank and dive off of things, doing this crazy arm waving thing on the way down. And since his last molt, he no longer hides AT ALL. He has no fear, and will eat out of my husband's hand. Now, our fire shrimp is a bit of a pain in the butt normally. He's pretty territorial, chases everything away from him, and enjoys perching on the corals, stealing their food. Over-all, we've enjoyed getting to know the personalities of our various critters since putting a tank in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts