The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I added a beautiful yellow leather coral (non-toadstool...I think its Sarcophyton Elegans). I have not yet seen the polyps extend. I think I recall reading somewhere that it can take a while (days?) before they will extend. Can someone verify this?

Anyhow, this morning it appears that my Emerald crab has developed an appreciation for it. He has climbed right up underneath is and looks to be "scraping" it with his pincers. I've been watching closely, and I cannot see any damage to the coral. Whats he doing? Is it bad? What do I do?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
any corals can take time to get used to the new tank, it shoudl be fine as long as it doesnt wither real bad, as far as the emerald, there really is no telling, he could be carving his and his old girlfriends initials in the trunk, animals are weird, as long as you dont notice any damage, i wouldnt worry.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had to get rid of my emerald crabs for the same reason. I had three and at least one of them would always be in my leather, seemingly picking at it so that it would never (or at best, rarely) fully extend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts