The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,question.I know what caused my HUGE diatom bloom, embarrassed to say not using ro/di and poor circulation. Bought koralia 2 and a 3, I am doing 10-15 gal pwc every week on my 75 gal. Tests are all 0 (amm,trite and trate)ph 8.2 sg 1.023 temp 80.4 phos reads 0 but i know that can be false.Only 3 fish, a foxface, scooter and 6 line. Asst. snails and crabs.Should i blackout?Buy a diatom filter(have no idea on that,just reading)Protein skimmer up and running for 2 weeks, pulling nasty stuff.Been brown for weeks now, not much better since switching water.Just time? Lights are on 9 hrs reg and 11 blues. So ugly..anything i can do??Thanks.

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Diatom filters are made from diatoms... I don't know if they will filter a diatom :) diatoms need silicates to grow.... silicates are in most tap water. As long as their is free silicate there will be diatoms. In a more mature tank small sponges uptake silicates and starve out visible numbers of diatoms. But tap is the issue I'm afraid to say.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply..I know it was the tap water, but will the silicates be filtered out eventually or can I do something to help speed things up?Right now have wet/dry with 700 gph pump.Tank is 4 mos old.Maybe charcoal..but would i turn the skimmer off? Also 70 lbs liverock covered in ugly!

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Neither charcoal not skimmer is going to remove silicates. In fact very high silicate water will even go through regular RO membranes. I don't know of any way to filter them out of the tank other than growing a sponge.

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
Hello.. Are you sure it is diatoms and not the beginnings of cyano? Diatoms generally go away on their own, but cyano generally takes a little help to get rid of.

· Registered
430 Posts
well IMO it doesn't matter what it is, you are on the right track now, your water params are great, and just continue using RO/DI for top off and changes, and everything should be fine. It may take a while but it will work.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Neither charcoal not skimmer is going to remove silicates. In fact very high silicate water will even go through regular RO membranes. I don't know of any way to filter them out of the tank other than growing a sponge.
So frequent wc won't take care of them??I posted pics in an album, but looks red in pics.If cyano please tell me what to do.

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
So frequent wc won't take care of them??I posted pics in an album, but looks red in pics.If cyano please tell me what to do.
hmm... I don't know how to look at the image you posted :D By the description it sounds like diatoms. The waterchanges now that it is RO will remove it, I just don't think there is any physical way to remove it besides that aside from sucking up the diatoms as you waterchange :thumbup: How long has it been since you switched?

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm... I don't know how to look at the image you posted :D By the description it sounds like diatoms. The waterchanges now that it is RO will remove it, I just don't think there is any physical way to remove it besides that aside from sucking up the diatoms as you waterchange :thumbup: How long has it been since you switched?
If you click my name on left, go to bio, have pics on right...Appreciate it.Only 2 changes so far.Would it help to do biweekly?So bad, I'll do anything

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
From the pic it looks like it might be cyano or both. Cyano is slimey and forms like strings of snot. If it is just diatom it is like a rust colored powder on everything but a wave of the hand should blow them off. Diatoms don't really stick well and will sort of disperse, not clump like cyano.

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
From my own experience, I had allow my RO/DI to go un changed for too long and the result was a nasty diatom bllom. Once I changed out the cartridges in the RO/DI they cleard up rather quickly. I would recomend getting a unit as soon as you can. It will help prevent a whole slew of issues and increase the overall health of the tank. It can be a few bucks but wel worth it. Look at ebay for good deals if budget is the limiting factor. I got mine from Premium Aquatics, its thir own brand and works perfectly. They have unbeatable service too and that is one reason I didnt ebay. Service is important to me for questions and parts.

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
Yeah,l it looks like a strain of cyano to me. One that I get from time to time in my fuge. Keep in mind that cyano is a bacteria and not a true algae. Although some of the same erradication techniques suggested above work well. Limiting its food source and reducing light, increasing flow are all good starts;) I would type more, but I'm at work and the boss is frowning at me:funny:

· Registered
546 Posts
My advise: take the money you would spend on a diatom filter, save up, and get a good ro/di filter. Even then, the diatom stage of cycling can take a long time. This is a new tank, right? My tank had heavy diatom blooms for over 2 months (this is not typical, though).

· Registered
546 Posts
I just purchased my own from Bulk Reef Supply. Very reasonable prices and my unit works flawlessly. Make sure you get at least one TDS meter, preferably two so you can tell when your filters need replacing. A pressure gauge is a must too; the unit doesn't work properly if PSI is too low or too high. I think I spent about $200 on mine but the less expensive models will work wonders on your tank too.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just purchased my own from Bulk Reef Supply. Very reasonable prices and my unit works flawlessly. Make sure you get at least one TDS meter, preferably two so you can tell when your filters need replacing. A pressure gauge is a must too; the unit doesn't work properly if PSI is too low or too high. I think I spent about $200 on mine but the less expensive models will work wonders on your tank too.
I never looked into units before, I'm totally overwhelmed right now..my trusty fish store isn't any good??Their water tests good since I wizened up and started using it:lol:Money really isn't a problem,don't want to waste it of course... been reading about chemiclean..can i use to help speed things..I know PATIENCE but I messed up so bad at the gate.That's me getting hit on the head..at least i didn't kill anything

· Registered
546 Posts
Don't bother with chemi-clean. I used it for a few months when I thought it might be a magic cure to my diatom bloom, didn't notice any difference. Run some carbon if you'd like but no need to spend more money on that stuff.

Your fish store isn't any good? I don't know, is it? You could buy an RO/DI unit from them of course, but do your research first. Don't buy the first thing they try to talk you into. Make sure they have quality units. And be prepared to spend a few more dollars for the convenience of the LFS.

· Registered
123 Posts
I had a similar experience with my tank and the main reason was tap water and too much light for too long. Cut your light time in half, keep doing water changes, look for a good LFS store that specializes in coral and they should sell pre-mix and perform weekly water changes of 20 gallons. Seachem makes a great product called Purigen and their is a product called Chemipure elite which works really good in your sump, I have had great success with it. Turbo snails would help as well, I had similar stuff on my tank walls and the snails cleaned it up. I would also Vac your coral / sand bed as well. Good luck and don't get discourgaed, it is part of the hobby.

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
Good water, good husbandry and time. Dont add anything you cant test for. The best thing you can do right now other than get the water situation taken care of (RO/DI) is to be patient. Trying to hurry, using miracle cures or adding all kinds of stuff s just asking for issues. The tank needs to take its natural course. It needs to mture and go through several different phases. Letting it do this is he best way to ensure a healthy tank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.