The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some research on this coral, and am aware that in past years their survival in home systems had declined, and no longer considered a "beginners coral" (although in Australia they apparently are still considered a beginner coral).

My question, has any of this changed in the last year or so? Has anyone here in the states had any good luck with this coral recently? :confused:

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I have always wanted to get an elegance coral but as you have heard of their bad track record!!

Some say it's the way they are collected and others argue over strong or weaker lighting, strong or medium water current, etc.

I believe they are getting better as far as keeping them alive for longer period of time but would be interested as well as others who have successfully kept these awesome corals!:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
They used to be an easy coral to keep. I've tried 3 or 4 times over the last 3 years and none of the new ones lasted more than a couple of weeks. No one has been able to say why, that I know of.

Ray

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i wonder if our tanks are getting to clean for them. they may need more nutrients in the water column. i have had several over the years and they all have done great. have not had any recently though. i lost all of them due to explained circumstances. power failures, equipment failures and the like.

G~

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I've read the different explanations about why they may not survive well. Too much light, poor shipping techniques, too clean tanks, too dirty tanks, collection of more recent specimens from deeper waters, etc... I found it interesting that at least in Australia, they seem to have better luck with these corals, which suggests to me shipping might be the problem, or at least one of them. But most of the information I've been reading is over a year old, so I was wondering if survival has gotten any better, or have most people given up trying to keep them. Although,I have seen them on occassion in some of my LFSs, so I'm assuming that someone must be buying them and trying to keep them.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I was afraid of...

Oh well, I guess I'll have to pass on getting a catalaphyllia. It's a pity, they are such beautiful corals. I wish we could figure this coral out. :( :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.