The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help! Obviously I need to hire an electrician, but I don't want to say hey, hook me up with a new box and enough plugs to do the job, or should I? How do I determine what I need? I know nothing about electricity other than to plug the plug in the outlet...I know I want dedicated circuitry just for the tank-but not really sure where to go from there. Do the volts correspond to amps? I guess everything should be on GFI circuits. Is there an electrician or someone who can give an electrical short summary in layman terms for a dummy? Thanks!

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
How many outlets you want? the standerd duplex(which is 2 outlets on top of each other)? or double duplex (4 outlets 2 on the top and two on the bottom)?if you want on circuit,you can say a dedecated 20 amp line GFCI protected with a double duplex outlet or duplex outlet and it would help if you know how many feet away the outlet is from your circuit breaker panel.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help! I think I need bigger. Currently have eight plugs to plug in with more on the way. Two pumps, 4 ballasts, 2 tunze plugs, 2 fans...and probably will add more to plug in down the line....anyway, I read in another post someone is going to run a pump on a 240 volt outlet and other stuff on 120 volt outlets...how is this determined? I know I'll need a new circuit breaker box as the present is currently full with household stuff, and I would rather not mix the two. Is this a big deal? I just would like to have a little knowledge when speaking to an electrician. Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
This is what Im doing in the wet room. I am having two 20 amp circuits ran with two gfci outlets for each. I will use the DJ power strips to hook up most stuff. They are nice cause you can shut off each item without fumbling through wires and they also have indicator lights for each item. This way I dont have to use power strips or have a gob of outlets in the wall. Heres the link to them..... http://www.acekaraoke.com/american-dj-pc-100-a-8-port-power-center.html HTH!

Robert

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's just like what I need! I'm sure they probably make those strips with more 3 prong outlets-I'll search around. Thanks for pointing that out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts