The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Electricity question. Who's the MH expert out there??

I am going to upgrade my lighting from PC's to MH. I'll probably go with 2 175w, 20K lights over my 75g. Right now I am running about 420 w PC's. Does anyone know what the differential in electricity costs maybe? I need to sell my wife on the fact that I need the light. The cost will be enough of a hill. If I have to throw in there that the electric bill will sky rocket then I am hosed. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ballast TBD. I am looking at this place in Denver that manufactures their own stuff. Mr Aqua, made in Taiwan. The lights look great over his tanks. I think the ballasts are made in Taiwan as well. Other suggestions, I want my light setup all in one. I don't want to have to build it into my canopy.

·
Administrator
49,114 Posts
Well if you are going to run 2x175 MH for 350watts even with some ballast loss or electrical consumption, you shouldn't be any worse off thatn you are now

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think wattage is an issue. With my 400w PC's I have plenty of coralite and polyp extension. Light intensity is the issue. The colors of my SPS are kind of bland. I want to know whether 2 175 MH's would bring out that color. I could go with the 250w's but I'm afraid that my tank may over heat.

·
bug hunter
816 Posts
I haven't seen 175w 20k's before so I don't know about that.

The 175w ushio 10k is a very good bulb. 2 of em over your 75 will do good and it will bring out better colors most likely. Without any actinic supplementation, your tank might not look the way you want though(compared to your pc's) unless you were running all daylight bulbs without actinic.

Jon

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah...I'm running roughly 33% of my lighting actinic. The blue light helps the brown Acro (that was purple when I bought it) look sort of pink, but I know that's just my eyes playing tricks. It's not the actual color. I want to bring out the vibrant colors in all of my corals. Wouldn't the MH alone help bring out the actual color? And w/ actinic supplement or 20K's wouldn't color and over all health of my corals increse tremendously from the current lighting setup? MH is uncharted water for me. I'm just looking for some different thoughts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.