The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting here going over my setup Ive been working on and just thought of something. The location Im going to have my 120 gal tank only has one outlet. Is it safe to use the one outlet for all that I have? Or is it a outlet OVERLOAD? What do I have to do before hooking up my tank if it is a OVERLOAD on the single outlet? I dont want to burn my hose down......:eek:
Here is a list of items I will be using:

*MH Ballasts X2 (Running 2, 250w 13,000k bulbs)
*VHO Ballast X1 (Running 2, 48" VHO Lamps)
*Moonlighting X1 (Running 10 Blue LED lights.)
*Mag 18 Return Pump X1
*ASM G3 Skimmer X1
*Compact Fluorescent 24" X1 (Refugium lighting.)
*Wave Maker X1
*Maxi Jet pumps X4 (Using for wavemaker.)
*A couple fans for cooling

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
While I am no electrician, I think the biggest issue you need to figure out is what else is on the same circuit, and how many amps does that circuit handle?

That single outlet can be rewired to have more outlets, but what else is on the same circuit and how many amps does it draw.

In my application, I am pushing the circuit to the it's upper limits because my tank shares a circuit w/ some outlets in my kitchen. MY new tank will have a dedicated circuit for it only. Do you have any extra breakers or extra slots to add a breaker and run a dedicated box of outlets??

While this is not much of an answer, I hope it gets you thinking in the right direction......

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Just to be safe i would consider having a designated circuit ran for the tank. Also, even if you dont do that, replace the outlet with GFCI's. Look at all the equipment you have, each piece should have an amp rating. On pumps they may have two, one for starting and one for operating. Add it all up and make sure that in the end you will want some extra room for additions/piece of mind/safety.

Robert

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
You really should double check everything. Its rare that a 20 Amp line will only run one outlet. For about $100 you can have an electrician come in and run a designated 20 amp line with gfci. Its certainly worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just double checked again. The circuit controls all the outlets in the dinning room, 4 of them. Nothing is plugged into them. The ONLY time there used is when we vaccum which I will not use when we vaccum now.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
theplatypus said:
You really should double check everything. Its rare that a 20 Amp line will only run one outlet. For about $100 you can have an electrician come in and run a designated 20 amp line with gfci. Its certainly worth the peace of mind.
Must have less expensive electricians in Georgia. Fishing a dedicated line can run alot more than that in just labor. With that said ... if one can get a dedicated line/gfi/breaker etc for that price I think its money well spent.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
A single outlet will hold the full draw of amperage it is rated for. the one outlet should be fine. just drop the gfci in and your set. even if you use the vacuum in the other room. I am running my tank, computer, and entertainment system off a single 15amp breaker without issue.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I pulled out all the equipment that requires power and wrote down all I can find about the power consumption. Some parts do not list amp usage. Here is what I got:

Maxi-Jet 1200 pump 20w, 60Hz (4 pumps)
Mag 18 Pump 120w, 1.36 Amps
MH 250w 2.1 Amps (2 units)
Sedra pump 50w
65w CF X2
110w VHO's X2

Items I will be using, but have no information on.

Wave maker to run the 4 Maxi-Jet pumps
4 Intermatic HD timers
Maybe heaters, I havent bought any yet.

What do you think? Will my recpt. with a 20amp breaker hold up?
Thanks....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts