The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about going to an ehiem for my return once I set up the new tank but I have been hearing that there are some bad things about them. Do they really have oil inside of them instead of epoxy? I heard that if they break that they could ruin a whole tank? Is this true?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've heard that about Rios but never Eheims. I'm using Eheims as returns and haven't had any problems with them. I do have them running externally, though, so if the info you found is right and they do "blow" it will just make a mess and hopefully nothing else.

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
It's the Rio Pumps that have the bad rep; Ehiems are regarded as reliable and energy-efficient pumps. I think you tend not see as many of them in use, b/c they are a little more expensive then a similar-sized Mag Drive Pump. Most all of the quality submersible pumps and powerheads have motors filled with solid epoxy, not oil.

HTH,
Michael

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well thats good to know. Yea mags are about the same thing, the only difference I have never heard of a danner product making it 10 years and still running strong. Thats the main reason I want an ehiem, it seems like the one pump you will really get your moneys worth out of.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
ive heard nothing but good things about Eheim pumps. The rios are another story.

·
Registered
557 Posts
eheim is about the best quality submersible you're going to get.. although i think red dragon is supposed to be submersible as well, not sure. But red dragon costs 9-10 times as much.
While eheim does cost more than the mag, after using the 1 eheim, if i get back into another system, all the pumps will be eheim or tunze.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts