The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here actually know what the deal is with the Eheim Jager heaters? There is a specific "water level" line on them which it says not to submerse past that point but I hear mixed opinions around the web saying that is only because it's a German product that doesn't have the UL approval to be tagged specifically as "submersible" in the US. I've noticed some online stores specify they are fully submersible (Marine Depot for instance) and others say they are only submersible to the water line (Doctors Foster and Smith for instance). Even from reading different reviews in our "Comparison Shopping" section it appears that some use them submersible while others don't. Does anyone know what the official word is on this?

·
spaceman spiff
15,672 Posts
as I undestand, being fully submersible is a new feature of the heaters. they used to recommend putting down only to the water line, but newer ones can be fully submerged. Though to be honest, I've always dumped them in all the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really hope they are, because mine is submerged past the water line! Still working great if that means anything. I thought the water line meant you had to have the water covering at least that much of the heater. Is that minimum water level not important??

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I've just read so much in either direction I'm not sure which is correct. It sounds like enough people submerge them completely in water without any problems to not merit much concern but it would sure be nice to know. I mean, we are talking about the safety of yourself and your animals when it comes to completely submerging an electronic device in saltwater that may or may not be properly sealed for it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
if it's got a water line marker and is an older model no way id submerse the whole thing unless the mfg themselves had it in writing...dont care if it worked or not....my house and life are a bit more valuable to me then a fish tank heater.....think im gunna adopt my grandfathers favorite line ...........

"use the right tool for the job" ;)

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
Copied from another forum. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=73854

JAGER heaters are fully submersible according to European standards. However because Jager heaters are now manufactured in Germany a new UL certificate must be issued for the "New" company. This new certificate must be issued to comply with the North American standards, until then the heater MUST be labeled as not submersible in North America.

Many heaters that are fully submersible have minimum water level lines.

·
Registered
771 Posts

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
771 Posts
one last point --- though its likely they have always made heaters that can be submerged it doesnt guarantee old models were...I couldnt find any info regarding older models sooooo its a judgement call.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the one I have is pretty new. Just bought it last October so I imagine it's probably fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.