The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Last week I installed my calcium reactor (CR-150) along with a CO2 injector. On the instructions that came with the system I'm supposed to be shooting for a 6.5 PH level and 40dKH on the effluent. If someone could help me with these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is effluent? I'm guessing it's the output from the calcium reactor.

2. When I tested the PH of the output I originally came up with a PH of 8.2, I then fully opened the output and it seems to be down to 7.4. How do I get it down further? increase the input of CO2?

3. Should I decrease the output to a trickle? The installation manual says to do this, but I'm not sure.

4. Should I not include Kalkwasser with my makeup water if I'm using my calc reactor?

5. I have the CO2 solenoid to only come on when the lights come on, is that a good practice?

Thanks for all your help, without it my 180 gallon would be in serious trouble.

I just added 6 green chromis (very cool) and two peppermint shrimp (aiptasia problem), but the shrimp don't look like what I thought they should. I think I got the old switcheroo.

Someday I'll have to post pictures and see if I can even come close to matching the masters that are around here.

Chris.

·
Administrator
47,621 Posts
Hello everyone,

Last week I installed my calcium reactor (CR-150) along with a CO2 injector. On the instructions that came with the system I'm supposed to be shooting for a 6.5 PH level and 40dKH on the effluent. If someone could help me with these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is effluent? I'm guessing it's the output from the calcium reactor.
yes
2. When I tested the PH of the output I originally came up with a PH of 8.2, I then fully opened the output and it seems to be down to 7.4. How do I get it down further? increase the input of CO2?
prolly
3. Should I decrease the output to a trickle? The installation manual says to do this, but I'm not sure.
yes, its prolly related to ?#2
4. Should I not include Kalkwasser with my makeup water if I'm using my calc reactor?
I wouldn't till you get the reactor dialed in correctly, then only if you have a real high calcium demand
5. I have the CO2 solenoid to only come on when the lights come on, is that a good practice?
Hmmmmmm, I will defer to someone with more exp
Thanks for all your help, without it my 180 gallon would be in serious trouble.

·
AKA Douglas Lowey
593 Posts
1. Yes, the output is called the effluent.

2. The effluent ph is usually run between 6.5 on the low end and some, close to 7 on the high. Most run around 6.7. It depends on the tanks consumption and the reactor.

3. Most run at a drip, not a steady stream. I would guess your 180 would require a steady drip, almost a stream but not. If that make any sense.

4.Many of us, use both kalk in the evaporation replacement water and a co2 reactor. Both have benefits. The kalk helps the tanks ph stay up and helps with phosphate removal. The reactor adds other trace elements like strontium and magnesium, plus others. It also keeps the alkalinity at higher levels.

5. The solenoid is to shut off the co2 in a power failure. Most run a reactor 24/7 for best results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts