The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i have somewhat put a plan together of what i want to do next .
i really like the idea behind the japanese tanks , with the corals growing on the bottom . my plans are to make a dome shape platform that will rest on top of the starboard. the high point on the dome will be 2" to 3" inches and then slope to maybe 1/16th to 1/4" inches along the entire perimeter of the platform . my thinking behind the slope is any detritus that doesn't get picked up in the water coloum will settle around the perimeter of the tank for easy siphoning .

this platform once its hard will be cut into three sections to facilitate adding and removing of the peices . also should the sections need to be removed for some reason after the corals have encrusted the platform i hope that being able to be removed in sections will help keep me from causing maximum damage :nuts: . also once it has set up i will drill numerous holes (not all the way thru ) to give me different places to mount the corals , any unused holes will be covered up with epoxy .

my hopes are that with out the rock and the corals spread out on the bottom that ,
1. the light will be spread out much better .
2. the flow will be much greater thru the corals .
3. that the corals will have more room to grow and grow up to the light and maybe not as much outwards .
4. with the extra flow it will help get detritus and foodstuff up and out .
5. create a bunch of open space for the fish and corals .
now come the questions ?
1. will there be enough bacterail support with out the live rock .
2. do you think i need to set up a media section such as bioballs to help process waste , or add rock to the sump . there will be some small pieces with corals attached , but they will be small .
3. if yes to #2 once this gets running should i slowly remove the bioballs or rock till theres none left .
4.will i need to thin out my fish load or will the system be able to support them .

also i will be removing almost all of the softies except for two favorites , most of the zoos and the xenia .
Alright i think i have covered everything so now i need feed back ! good or bad !
:lol:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I’d be a bit concerned about the psychological health of my fish if they didn’t have a whole bunch of little caves to dive into. It takes a long time for a live coral structure to offer the same shelter as a jumble of rock.

When I removed the sand bed from my 155, my Yellow Watchman almost came unglued. If I had not added a small sandbox back in, I don’t think the fish would have survived.

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where ya been jack ?

thats kind of why i was asking . i think that once everything is done that i should have enough nooks and crannies for every one to hide in , well with the exception of the midas blenny ! funny , of all the fish that will probally not be freaked out by all of this will be my watchmen goby as he still loves his little pvc pipe home ! and it won't need to be moved .

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
another option maybe to leave just one or two of the rocks in and glue the corals around them . what kind of effect do you think pulling 'say' 90% of the rock out all at once will have ? the same as when we pulled our sand beds ? by the way we finally got some rain today 3"-6" they say , first test for the pond "not so good" ,got some re-engineering to do !

·
Registered
682 Posts
gwaco said:
where ya been jack ?
I check in a couple of times every day just to keep up with what’s going on.

My tanks are in “hurricane season maintenance mode” for the next five months, so I'm probably going to be pretty quiet for a while. Not going to make any significant changes again until November.

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i guess significant changes is only relavent , depending on what the next five months brings :D ! hope it will be quiter than they are predicting .
i sit and wonder how all these people that move here can even buy housing when getting insurance is so scarce and expensive !

·
Registered
682 Posts
It’s interesting you mention insurance…

I had to go shopping for new homeowners' insurance the past few weeks because my current insurer has, essentially, gone bankrupt. It should be familiar name to the Tampa/St. Pete area. Their name rhymes with dough (which they don’t have very much of anymore).

I’ll let you in on a little secret…

Of all the quotes I got for a new policy, Florida’s “insurer of last resort” had the lowest premium (not the highest… THE LOWEST!!!). It ain’t supposed to be that way, but it is. No wonder they are still the second largest insurer in the state.

The homeowners' insurance market in Florida is in complete shambles.

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats to bad that you have to shop . we have been lucky "so far " that we have not been dropped ! we have had "great charm insurance" for the last 15 yrs . hope they'll be" like a good neighbor "if we get hit ! this area is now over built and under insured , but they still keep on'a building .

·
Registered
682 Posts
I noticed one of the numerical weather prediction computer models is already trying to develop the first tropical storm of the Atlantic season.

It forms over the northwest Caribbean this coming weekend and moves northeast across Cuba into the central Bahamas then out into the Atlantic.

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weatherman said:
I noticed one of the numerical weather prediction computer models is already trying to develop the first tropical storm of the Atlantic season.

It forms over the northwest Caribbean this coming weekend and moves northeast across Cuba into the central Bahamas then out into the Atlantic.
great :cry: ! not the way to start off the season . have you heard about the new ministreams tunze is coming out with ? three models with the first two due out in sept. and the third in dec. this are very trick looking , come with the mounting magnet attached , and can be pointed in just about any direction . the prices range from 50 - 70 dollars and although i don't remember the exact g.p.h. i remember the flow totally blows away any compact p.h.s out there now ! i want to say that the $70 model was somewhere around 1000 g.p.h. !:D wish i could have sneaked a copy of the release paper that i got to see :idea: !

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had heard rumors that Tunze was going to sell a littler version of their famous Streams. It would be great for those with smaller tanks.

I'm really surprised Tunze doesn't have more competition for their Streams. It seems like a fairly simple design.

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
garvondavis14 said:
ok if you guys find anything else about the ministreams or whatever, make sure you let me know!
no problem ! i wish i could have gotten the pics of them for you guys but i didn't want to push my luck . hopefully the photos were not of some preproduction mock-up cause they look really cool and it would be a shame if they change them . i'm sure some one will surface with some pics of them . what ever happened to those p.h. s were the motor mounted on the outside of the tank and the impellor was inside the tank and they were held together on the glass by magnets ? the only thing i didn't care for was there was no way at all to change the direction of the flow . so anyways back to the subject matter ! no-one else want to chime in ? i will be starting the platform this week-end . we have a place here that deals with nothing but fiberglass and epoxy coatings , and i explained what i wanted to do , so they came up with polyester casting resin . to mix one gallon it came to around $40 . they also thought the way i want to do it will work fine . here's my plan ! make a wooden frame of the dimensions i want 'staple some fairly thick visqueen to the frame and pour it in . first i will make a trial run with water to get the sag i want in the middle , dry it off and resag it a little tighter since the epoxy weighs more than water . they assured me the this mix will not build up enough heat to melt the plastic , we will see !

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well , i got my platform finished and i have this friday off soooo. the platform came out well ,o.k. ! when i get a chance i will post some pics , it didn't come out as big as i had hoped but it will serve its purpose . after looking at everything it looks like i will still have maybe around 10% of the rock in the tank , so it will not be completely void of it . i will keep you posted !

·
Registered
83 Posts
edit:vortech are supposedly available, but, i dont think anyone has recieved them yet(people that pre-ordered), and the tunze are the ones that arent available

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
here are a few pics of the melted tootsie roll ! the holes you see are for the placement of corals .

1 - 20 of 54 Posts