The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What eels would you guys recomend for a reef tank (if any). It needs to be fairly passive since its going to be kept with other fish. i've heard the zebra and the dwarf golden eel are decent choices for a reef tank. My tank is a 90 gallon.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
I kept a Snowflake eel in a 90.....worked out well. He never bothered anyting.....well except snails and crabs.

Rockwork should be latched down well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a Zebra in my tank and so far so good!

He is very docile and doesn't bother anything else in the tank including the peppermint shrimp that lives under his rock with him. Sometimes when I'm feeding him the shrimp practically crawls in his mouth to steal a bite and he doesn't kill it.

I feed him WELL every other day and have a couple different "caves" set up for him. He stays under the rocks most of the time but does go on patrol once in a while. He also pokes his head out a lot to see whats going on, but is pretty lazy in general.

It's ALWAYS a risk with any eel, MANY will tell you but it all depends on the individual critter as well. I got very lucky with mine, he is a total sweetheart, you never know what your gonna get.

Also be aware that they create a lot waste, they eat a lot therefore they poo a lot. I have a good skimmer and over 1000 GPH through my sump as well as reactors (GFO/carbon) to keep up my water conditions between water changes every 2 weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts