1 Firefish Goby
1 Sharknose Goby
1 Serpent Star
1 Pacific Cleaner Shrimp
1 Emerald Mithrax Crab
Assorted Snails and Hermit Crabs
Live Rock
Live Sand

Have had this set up for almost two months. Never kept a tank before but my kids 4 & 2 could spend hours at the LFS. Tried to read as much as possible B4 buying. Cycled the tank for close to a month B4 adding livestock.

When testing the water everything seems to be in order expect the GH or water hardness seems to be really high. NYC tap water that's conditioned.
The livestock seem fine though but I have had a few snails perish.
Should I be concerned? If so, what to do?

Another question is I am alternating Seachem Reef Builder, Reef Advantage Calcium, and CaribSea Purple Up hoping to get some color into the Live Rocks and create an environment where I might get some good biodiversity.
Since I'm adding calcium doesn't this increase the GH?
I'm of the impression the water is 'hard' but not sure if it's necessarily a bad thing or even what to do if it was.

My other main concern was water temp goes above 82 degrees, I think due to the lighting, but for most part I've cured that by permanently keeping the filter media access cover off.
I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive fan and clip it on.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Reefer Madness
1,357 Posts
I live near the Ashokan Reservoir where NYC comes down from. The water is a little hard; but when you say "conditioned" what do you mean? Are you using a RO/DI unit?

·
Reefer Madness
1,357 Posts
My other main concern was water temp goes above 82 degrees, I think due to the lighting, but for most part I've cured that by permanently keeping the filter media access cover off.
I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive fan and clip it on.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
The temp is a little high (although alot of reefers keep their tanks there); I like 77-78 myself (keeps algae down and better oxygen exchange). I use a small double fan - works great.

Oh - I've learned that keeping dosing down is always best. If the LR is doing its job (and it will); you'll have good levels all around. Don't forget your water changes, though...
:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live near the Ashokan Reservoir where NYC comes down from. The water is a little hard; but when you say "conditioned" what do you mean? Are you using a RO/DI unit?
Conditioned meaning water conditioner you add to the tap water to neutralize the chlorine and other stuff.

Due to some other suggestions I think I'll use distilled water for my water changes.

I've also suspended any calcium supplements as it's been at the max range of where it should be for at least 1.5 weeks at 440 ppm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts