The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tonight i took a few minutes and looked on ebay for zoanthids and the like. i found one seller in the maryland area near me that had frags. i noticed though that they were really small. the photos were of them sitting on egg crate. some appeared to be as small as an eggcrate square. is this common? are these mini zoas or something? some frags were not even an inch square! does anyone buy these off of ebay? any recommended sellers?

many questions, from an angry guy

ANGRY GARY

·
11,345 Posts
I dont recommend buying zoo frags or very many frags off of ebay. There arent very many bargains to be had and typically it is just the opposite. If you want some exotic zoo frags, you will be better off finding websites like ultimatefrags.com, sharkysreef or reefermadness to name a couple that offer WYSIWYG purchasing. Dont get me wrong, there are some people out there on ebay who do give better deals, but many of the people on ebay also sell there wares in other places such as frags.com or the forums on reef discussion boards for better prices.
I just had a great experience on some higher end zoos at sharkysreef.com. Almost every frag i ordered that supposedly had 20 polyps on it had closer to 40 or more. The frags that were more expensive that were only 5 polyps or so were typically only a couple extra, but thats to be expected on $5 + apiece polyps. Also, there were ZERO hitchhikers which way impressed me. I had 14 frags and the only thing left in my freshwater dip bucket when done was a little bit of detritus.

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can you give me a quick explanation of your freshwater dip method.
thanks

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
It is a combination of ro/di water and Lugol's iodine solution. You just mix it up and let the zoas sit in the solution for a couple minutes, then give it a good swish. Do search for the recipe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,
Have you tried Marine Scene in Herndon(marinescene.com)? Shouldn't be too far away from you. They often have what they call "nano" corals - they're small ones that sell from around $10 - $18. That way, if they fail, you won't have spent so much money. I got a couple Zoas from them and the green one has already planted new polyps.

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i haven't been to the marine scene in years. they used to be very arrogant. not very helpful to someone new to the hobby. hopefully they have changed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmm, haven't had that experience at all. I'm super new to the hobby and have had only positive experiences. My sales guy was Phil, he's great. Try them again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts