The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious what this is, im still trying to learn to id stuff by looking at it, can i get a quick run down of light requirments and flow.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
think something like that would be ok in a 46 gal bow with 2x96 pc's? im trying to read up on some new stuff, i was looking around at brains and stuff like that. its hard to tell the difference, but i would like a couple more LPS in my tank. any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks vince... posted at the same time!

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Main difference between Favia sp. and Favite sp. is that the corallite (depression in the skeleton where polyp is located) walls are shared in favites. Favia have a small space between corallite walls.

leveldrummer said:
thanks vince... posted at the same time!
No problem. :)

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are these both considered brains? i understand about the depression, you mean around each center, the "polyp, or soft tissue" is separated, so there would be a litte trench around each one. right?

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
leveldrummer said:
are these both considered brains? i understand about the depression, you mean around each center, the "polyp, or soft tissue" is separated, so there would be a litte trench around each one. right?
Exactly.

Favia:

There is an obvious trench between the two corallite walls (raised circular features).

Favite:

There is no trench, and the walls are actually shared.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Placement at the middle, to top, is good. Just be sure to keep your flow at a medium. They need the flow to get their food. Tentacle expansion will depend on the flow rate. Flow and light are the main factors in keeping favias healthy.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
i have my moon favia in a 10 gallon for several months
its right on the sand, this is usually where they are placed
its under pc lighting and was shaded for awhile when my toadstool grew over it. it never suffered
i think this is one of the least demanding species ive kept
the long sweeper tentacles come out at night and thats usually when it does its attack, so it is considered aggressive.
shorter feeding tentacles come out also at night. i feed early morning before i put the lights on so the tentacles are still out cause once the lights go on they retract. some people train them to expand during the day hours but ive had no luck, mine is a night owl lol
i feed zoo plankton and mysis
its in an area of decent flow but not jets right on it
i like sand placement better, it just seems more natural and theres no risk of falling. once these guys are placed they pretty much wanna stay put and not be moved around

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks everyone for the lessons on brains!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts