The Reef Tank banner

Easy clam for a newbie clamer ??

8K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Prismaco 
#1 ·
Ok, I just got a 175w MH and its all set up. My tank isn't ready yet for a clam but I just wanted to know what clams could I have ??

1 - 96w 50/50
1 - 96w 10k
1 - 175w MH

Its a 37g show tank. I think its 30" tall. Not sure yet.

-Paul

#5 ·
3 months, water tests are all good but my Nitrates are a tad high. I don't plan on adding a clam soon but just wanted to get an idea on what I could have. I also plan on adding a little bit more LR to my tank to make it a bit higher to the lights so that all my LPS or SPS can get alot more light.

37g Show
3" DSB
25lbs of LR
1 clows
1 damsel
1 Orange Spotter Blenny
10+ crabs
2 bumble bea snails

-Paul

#7 ·
ahhhhhhhh... a virgin... er... I mean newbie....

You need to come to the saturday night chat and we'll school you on keeping clams happy... If we're lucky, Danielle will swing by and offer up a few words of advive also.... :beer: As we've seen from the pics, she has a very nice looking clam... Many aspiring clam keepers could only wish to keep such a nice clam... :)

#8 ·
I wll try to get some pictures. Right now I am having a small algea problem but it should be gone in the next couple of weeks. I plan on adding one when everything is all good. Dont want to kill a clam...I will try to get into the chat but I am bussy on weekends planning things for my wedding on August 9th...

-Paul

#9 ·
Prismaco said:
I will try to get into the chat but I am bussy on weekends planning things for my wedding on August 9th...
-Paul
Plan things?
Um... Didn't they tell you, or did you not get the groom book? You just nod and smile and say "Yes, honey. That would be great."

:funny:

(Congrats on the upcoming big day! I didn't know you were tying the knot!)

#11 ·
I just got married in March. The HUH??!!! WHAT??!! always worked wonders for me. That and "Honey, if I do it I'll just screw it up" will get you out of MANY a jam! :funny:

#12 ·
I've been married for 5 1/2 years now and just about have the selective hearing thing down to a science. "Don't spend any money on your fish tank today." "Honestly honey I didn't hear you say don't spend any money on the tank. And look it only cost me $49.99."

#13 ·
You know the funny thing is that my wife likes reef tanks as much as I do. IF I spend money on her tank it is fine...but if I do it on mine.....
Sadly I got into the hobby because she kept changing her mind about fish and I was left with the leftovers.
Ray

#14 ·
Prismaco,
I think that you should start scoping out you LFS for clams while you are waiting out your algae problem. For you first clam I would suggest a 3-4 inch t. squamosa or t. derasa, smaller clams can be harder to care for. As Phantom Phish suggested although it maybe hard to locate a t. derasa at the moment due to availability. As for what to look for in a prospect buy, make sure the clam opens full and reactes (closes) when you obstruct the light source (on an open tank this like moving you hand over the tank). The inhalent syphon should not be gaping (my experience has been that a clam with a gaping inhalent syphon is not long for the world).
Keep us posted.
Aliendomain

#15 ·
Which is better? Black spotted squamosa or the brown spotted squamosa? The black spotted looks cool but the brown seems stronger.

Does anybody's clam move around? Are they stationary or do you do things to make them stationary? Mine seem to juggle a bit (and I can see it's foot muscle?)

#16 ·
As far as movement goes...

I have a 4.5" squamosa that seems to have rotated. I placed it on my sandbed, oriented perpendicular to the front glass. Over the coarse of about two weeks, it rotated so that it's now parallel to the glass. Don't know if it moved by itself, or if other things moving on the sand bed (cucumber, serpent star) pushed it around.

#20 ·
Casey said:
Geoff you will know trust me they will move in your tank to where they want,dont worry about that just make sure they stay in bright light:)
thanks Casey!!

it is already starting to tilt and move around. at least they do not move as fast as an anemone.:funny:

G~

#25 ·
Thanks for all of the advise. I may be geting a clam in about a 2-5 weeks. I just need to sit through this little algea problem. My LFS had some clams but they where the Maxima (I think). They where the purple, blues, and green ones. The ones that I can have yet :D But I dont rememeber seeing any brown ones.

-Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.