The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 1620 Posts

· Chasing Stability
9,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who do not know, I've had a 55 gallon reef for about 4 years now. Some coral and fish are starting to outgrow the narrow front-to-back dimension of the 55 and I'm in need of an upgrade. A local club member had a 75 gallon Deep Blue Aquarim for sale and I snatched it up. I'm going with a beananimal style overflow including the coast to coast overflow box. My goal is to have the 75 up and running within a month's time. Hope you enjoy!

The new tank

Random plumbing parts from Lowe's

I had to order the 1" gate valve for the siphon drain(Amazon). I'm not sure if I'll use it or buy a true union ball valve? I'm a little nervous about the thread leaking, any suggestions?

Watt's speedfit(Lowes) for the open channel standpipe

Tapped the cap

Teflon tape on the thread, and it fits like a glove

Locline(PremiumAquatics) for the return

Hole saw from ebay, about $13

Success!

So far so good:D

· Keen Reefer
2,170 Posts
I'll tag a long and be the first to post. :D

· Hydro-Dynamic
13,156 Posts
Hey nice upgrade Earl!!! Your choice in overflows IMO is unsurpassed. :beer:

I had to order the 1" gate valve for the siphon drain(Amazon). I'm not sure if I'll use it or buy a true union ball valve? I'm a little nervous about the thread leaking, any suggestions?
At Lowes the pink Heavy Duty teflon tape. By all means do use the gate
it is superior to a ball valve for micro adjustments. The tape can be tricky to start, wants to spin, but once it is wrapping snug without slipping
a good 8 wraps should be fine and be leak free as long as you care for it to be.

· Hydro-Dynamic
13,156 Posts
I usually get the tape started clockwise, and hold the spool between my knees
with the tape coming off the bottom side then either roll the fitting, or take the spool
and start wrapping clockwise as the threads go, then pull tightly to sevre the tape and snug in place.

· Chasing Stability
9,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I usually get the tape started clockwise, and hold the spool between my knees
with the tape coming off the bottom side then either roll the fitting, or take the spool
and start wrapping clockwise as the threads go, then pull tightly to sevre the tape and snug in place.
Gotcha, tape goes in the direction of the thread.

I was a little nervous that the threads would leak. I'd feel more confident with gluing slips, but I agree the gate will be much easier to make small adjustments.

· Chasing Stability
9,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just wanted to be be sure the drains are located at the proper height.

Are you going to build the box out of glass or acrylic ?
Ahhh, well the drains should work, I copied the measurements directly from Beananimal's design. I'm going to use glass. I got some RTV silicone from Grainger as well.

· Registered
3,776 Posts
I get the Teflon started and turn it in the direction that it gets threaded in and it works well I used to have it always fall off then my father who is a plumber said to do it the way the thread goes which makes sense. Use clear primer for all your slips if you can find it the purple is only so home inspectors know you used it on your house. The puple makes a huge mess I come from a family of plumbers and see what that stuff does if you tip the can over. If you go to a actual good plumbing store they will have so much more than lowes or a Home Depot and people that actually know what there doing. I go to fw Webb and get stuff on my brothers account way cheaper

· Chasing Stability
9,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I get the Teflon started and turn it in the direction that it gets threaded in and it works well I used to have it always fall off then my father who is a plumber said to do it the way the thread goes which makes sense. Use clear primer for all your slips if you can find it the purple is only so home inspectors know you used it on your house. The puple makes a huge mess I come from a family of plumbers and see what that stuff does if you tip the can over. If you go to a actual good plumbing store they will have so much more than lowes or a Home Depot and people that actually know what there doing. I go to fw Webb and get stuff on my brothers account way cheaper
I lucked out, Lowes had the clear primer:D
Any recommendations on getting the print off of the pipes? I've been using acetone but it gets smeary...

· Hydro-Dynamic
13,156 Posts
I lucked out, Lowes had the clear primer:D
Any recommendations on getting the print off of the pipes? I've been using acetone but it gets smeary...
Rotate the print out of sight, or use white paint, or whatever colour matches your plumbing. But really, just a thoughtful rotation while gluing it up is all you need. I'm pretty neat with the purple primer, but may go for the clear next time.
I used it on identical tongue scrapers my wife and I have, so she gets the purple
trimmed one :funny:

· Chasing Stability
9,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rotate the print out of sight, or use white paint, or whatever colour matches your plumbing. But really, just a thoughtful rotation while gluing it up is all you need. I'm pretty neat with the purple primer, but may go for the clear next time.
I used it on identical tongue scrapers my wife and I have, so she gets the purple
trimmed one :funny:
:funny:
I'm very sloppy with primer...I had to go with clear. I do have some white spray paint laying around.

· Registered
3,776 Posts
Use the primer it will take it off no problem since you have clear you will never see it. I painted my pipes black so the would be less noticeable. The tricks you learn from having professionals in your family. It will also disolve the stickers away also if you have them on your fittings

1 - 20 of 1620 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.