The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Not a good idea - it will kill your biological filter, as it's an antibiotic.

What kind of algae are you facing? It could just be the normal diatom-cyano-hair cycle that all new tanks go through. If that's the case, it should recede naturally.

Just my 2c,
Danielle

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok heres the thing the alge I have in my tank is just a mess its every where. I limit my lighting to 8 to 9 hours a day I have 2 power heads in the tank to get good circulation. my phosphate,nitrite,and nitrate levels all read 0. I can not figure out why I am gettint all the darn alge. I even had a cyano alge outbreak in one of the heavy water movement areas. I just don't know what to do any more. My clean up crew just can't get caught up .

Clean up crew.
1 halloween hermit
6 mexican snails
1 astrea snail
2 bumble bee snails
13 assorted other hermit crabs
1 sally light foot crabs
6 starfish
O and of course on alge back up the yellow tang.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sry forgot to put the rest of the fish.

1 percula clown
2 black and white damsels
1 yellow tail damsel
1 blue devil damsel
1 snow flake eel
2 large colt corals and 5 smaller ones
1 sun coral
1 frogspawn
around 50lbs live rock
3 inch crushed coral substrate

The tank has been established four alomst 4 years now and was moved last august from my cousins house to mine. The fish are fed formula1 frozen fish food daily every other day they get a flake food and a pellet. Weekly I put some brine shrimp in along with feeders for my eel. I use marine snow for my corals.

·
Administrator
49,400 Posts
SM you have a lot of fish load in a 55g IMO to begin with. The Skilter cant possibly keep up with the DOC load in the tank and the other hangon with bio wheels is keeping the ammonia converted , but with light and nutrient, you are going to have algae. The tang and the eel alone are poop producers extrordinaire, all the other fish add to it, along with all the feeding going on. Personally my choice for a swim tank would be a sump and as big a skimmer as I could manage in the sump. Then again I would prolly have an 802 powered spray bar and use a filter sock , cleaned daily

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.