The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Is it because the bacteria live in certain microenvironments in the sandbed, found in specific layers and not free floating in the water? :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
to quote myself from the other thread

Actually... my old roommate is a soil scientist and tests compost soils all the time. he could probably test the levels of fauna and all the standard parms like ph, o2, nitrates, etc... the problem is you need a standard to test it against.
this testing process costs about $400 for a general sample. a layer by layer would be a little more...

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
because the test go beyond the scope of the hobbyist , require the use of dangerous acids to perform the test .

·
2,311 Posts
is this "if " a standard were set ? because if not we could just use the answer from the other thread ! " you don't have a standard to test against "

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Spanky said:
Why can't you test for anything in a sand bed to see what's going on or how it's working?:)
I suspect you can test for a number of things ... but one of the root causes of the DSB debate is phosphates and then things tend to get muddy ... appears some "experts" seem to disagree. I am not an expert but my observations have been than many complicated problems tend to cross the boundaries of std conventional expertise (chemistry vs biology as a simple example - get more complicated when you talk about specialties within a particular expertise). No offence - but from my perspective this DSB vs BB debate is VERY old ... we need to get less cryptic .. less sarcastic .. and have a frank discussion of what we know .. what we don't know .. vs what we think.

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kevin1000 said:
No offence - but from my perspective this DSB vs BB debate is VERY old ... we need to get less cryptic .. less sarcastic .. and have a frank discussion of what we know .. what we don't know .. vs what we think.
Kevin, don't read it.

I can't help but notice that you just did exactly what you are complaining about.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
gwaco said:
because the test go beyond the scope of the hobbyist , require the use of dangerous acids to perform the test .
I agree with this statement. Plus the high cost.

edit: and from the other thread, there is no standard to see what is actually going on

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If I am cryptic then I apologize

What I know is that there have have been many DSB/BB debates with nothing new added to the equation in a very long time. I also know your beliefs/comment are used often by the BB promoters. To my knowledge those comments/arguments are buried in threads that are too long for most aquarist to read ... perhaps an article that fully presents your opinion in context would serve your cause. I also know that your writing style is one that is often cryptic and loaded with sarcasm .. alienating people who are looking for answers.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,652 Posts
Spanky said:
Ok, let's say you could test for anything in this world and it was free.

Then what?
From that premise, the other problem is that there is no way to know how much it can hold, it is like trying to test if a battery is charged without knowing it's capacity or how it behaves when it gets charged.

I am shooting in the dark here :D
Whiskey

·
2,311 Posts
because a sandbed is not ever a stable entity . the test ther-fore would never give you the same results , even if taken with-in 5 minutes of each other !

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
gwaco said:
because a sandbed is not ever a stable entity . the test ther-fore would never give you the same results , even if taken with-in 5 minutes of each other !
Oh no! Not another "stability" debate :eek:

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wiskey said:
From that premise, the other problem is that there is no way to know how much it can hold, it is like trying to test if a battery is charged without knowing it's capacity or how it behaves when it gets charged.

I am shooting in the dark here :D
Whiskey
Nope, you're right on it.

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gwaco said:
Bingo

All you can do is take a snap shot of what would be happening right then.
It's not even establishing a base line to compare it to.

As different things are liberated, different things migrated into the sediment, bacterial species flux, .....

You can't establish a base to compare it to because there is no base.

·
Detritus is not a pet
386 Posts
Seems like we're catching up quicker now :D This thread didn't go for 15 pages before somebody came up with the right answer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts