The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning to find my baby crocea laying on it's side. I inspected it further and found that the byassal threads he used to attach himself with were severed. Only 1 or two remain connected to the shell I placed him on. He has opened up slightly but I am dumb founded as to what happened to his gland(threads). Does anyone have any suggestions? BTW I have looked for snails but have not found any on him. I am finding the snails on my astrea for some reason.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Any crabs in the tank? Did a rock fall and knock him off?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's in the DSB, I have a couple of hermits and an emerald crab. I have been suspectant of a predatory crab due to the fact that one of my emaralds disapeared and I found his claw. I also believe my hermits are disapearing, but don't know for sure because I have given some away. Yesterday though, I noticed the clam wasn't opening all the way and he was still firmly attached.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
You cant always trust crabs any of them just keep your eyes peeled especially at night.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would be on the lookout for a mantis. I had a mantis crack the shell of a derasa I had, and I know they like crabs to.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My tank has been up for over a year...I haven't noiced anything like this. I have been looking in there every night, and haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. I'll keep looking though.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And the last one. I took this about a minute after I placed him back into the SB. He opened up a little. Do the pics tell anything?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
aliendomain said:
It may be ok, I would move it to the rock work as high up as possible. Nice color!
and listen for clicking sounds at night

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like lots of clicking, one click or what? Since I bought my lights, about 2 minutes after they go off I have noticed a click...I have always assumed that it was the bulb cooling down or another element cooling down. That is the only time I hear it. What if there is a mantis and I cannot find him...what then???

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I had one and it would be one click randomly about every 5 to 10 mins,if you have one you MUST hunt it down and kill it:D or sell it:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had a mantis that did the same thing after lights out I heard a click or two, then again a few hours later. It could be a small one as they get larger they become more destructive. I agree with Casey, stay up late with a red flashlight and make a positive ID then hunt it down.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The clam died this afternoon. I can't figure it out. It was open this morning and I had moved him closer to the light. I was gone 4hrs, and the clam was on it's side dead. I did an autopsy and couldn't find anysnails or anything. It did look like the area around the byassal gland had been eaten out. But I think my hermits and fish prolly did this after it had died. The clam was very small so I knew it would be a tough road to hoe. I have looked each night, late, like 2 am 4rs after my lights go off, and no mantis or other crabs. This morning I found that one of my squamosa has a severed byassal thread as well. How do clams unattach themselves if they want to move? I just don't get what's going on, but I'm worried because I have 4 more clams in my tank.

·
Registered
126 Posts
To me that looked like the clam was maybe shedding it's byssal threads, which they will do. If this clam was small did you feed it supplemental feedings of DT's or something equivalent??

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I fed it DT's every other day. Direct feeding. It reattached it's self yesterday and this morning it was on it's side. I then moved it up higher on to the rock work...left for 4 hours, returned and it was dead. My squamosa had attached himself to a .5 inch picece of substrate...this morning the same thing, it was almost like it had let go. Needless to say, the bysal(sp.) gland is still hanging on the squamosa. Do you have any advice? He opens up fine, but is now not attached to anything.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
According to this excerpt from FAQ' of Tridacna on wetwebmedia, I fear that I may have killed my clam when I moved him to the rocks. It had probably shed its bysal gland and was vulnerable to worms, crabs, etc... By moving him to the rocks,it exposed the sensitive area. Just a hunch, but it's something to learn by.

Is my clam doomed
I have recently acquired a 2" derasa clam. He was 10" under 200 watts of Smartlight. Last night he jumped down a step on my live rock, but he left behind some white tissue still attached to the rock above (byssal (sp) tissue?).
<correct>
Is there anything I can do or anything I should look for Thanks Jeremy PS other than this he appears to be in good health
<no worries at all... clams commonly abort old byssal tissue. It is generate new at the new point of attachment. Freshly imported/disturbed clams will often do this. Probably just fine. Make sure it attaches soon for its own good (protection of byssal port from crabs, worms, etc. Anthony>

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/tridacdisfaqs.htm

·
Registered
151 Posts
Toadfish,
For a crocea the best placement is on a flat area of a rock where it can attach with it's byssal. The excerpt "Make sure it attaches soon for its own good (protection of byssal port from crabs, worms, etc." states that if the clam is not anchored to a rock or shell by the byssal then a predator could attack via the byssal opening. Moving the clam to the rockwork did not cause its death unless the byssal opening was left exposed.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I should have waited until it attached itself to the shell I had place it on. I think the clam fell over exposing the byssal. I don't know for sure since I wasn,t here when it happened, but I believe that a fish or snail knocked it over and at that time became open to predatation. The bottom line is that I should have allowed it to attach itself to the shell in the SB before I moved it. :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts