The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to reef central and need advce on how to treat / captue a regal blue hippo tang in my 40 gallon reef tank.

·
Banned
2,995 Posts
Welcome to THE REEF TANK .... no harm done, but we aren't reef central!! ha...

What is your tang doing? How old is your tank? What is your water testing at?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
parms are good - alk and ph stable, no ammonia, 10 ppm nitrates, tang with white spots. How do i catch him or treat the reef?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

to TRT! Nice to have you aboard.
Catching the Tang is going to stress it out even more, if it is already ill. Like gwen o lyn asked... what's it doing? How does it look in color? And, so on.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its scratching the rocks and has white spots. water quality is high but i cant treat with regular meds b/c its a reef

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ant stratigies to catch him or know any reef safe meds? Will the addition of a cleaner shrimp help?

·
Banned
2,995 Posts
zxcv123 said:
parms are good - alk and ph stable, no ammonia, 10 ppm nitrates, tang with white spots. How do i catch him or treat the reef?
What is your ALK, what is your PH? Please define "good"

What is your specific gravity?

How old is your tank?

·
Banned
2,995 Posts
well putting a tang in a 29g tank is gonna stress it out, get sick, and die.
Tangs need swimming space and shouldn't be in tanks under 75 gallons- 100 is better.

Please take the tang back to the store.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually was planning to - it was a rescue mission from a 10 gal at pet land so i took it. i must cure it then bring it back to reef encounter for store credit.

·
Banned
2,995 Posts
Here is my opinion on rescue missions... when you buy critters like this- you aren't rescuing them- you just purchased it and now what is that store going to do? They gotta bring in more inventory and replace it. Say no to the critter and let the LFS know we don't want certain inventories harvested out of the ocean because some things are better left in the ocean *that doesn't exactly apply to all tangs, but u know what I mean*. Do you plan to also rescue the next tang from the LFS next week?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gwen_o_lyn said:
Here is my opinion on rescue missions... when you buy critters like this- you aren't rescuing them- you just purchased it and now what is that store going to do? They gotta bring in more inventory and replace it. Say no to the critter and let the LFS know we don't want certain inventories harvested out of the ocean because some things are better left in the ocean *that doesn't exactly apply to all tangs, but u know what I mean*. Do you plan to also rescue the next tang from the LFS next week?
i agree - it will only happen again. I will refuse to buy from them unless ample conditions are provided for the placment of fish, tangs in perticular. thanks for waking me up. The tangs are thanking u !

1 - 20 of 58 Posts