The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there,

I am going to be getting a Dwarf Lionfish on the 22nd, I am going to be putting him in a 50 gal. Arch Aquarium by himself. I have the aquarium all running and everything but I was wondering how much live rock would I need for him and do I have to have a sand bed of some sort? Or do I need anything else?

Thanks

·
Now What?
1,100 Posts
You dont "need" any lr, anything will work like a decoration. I don't think you need a sb it might get to dirty w/a lion.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i would definately add lr, a few nice big pourous pieces, and stack it so that he has a cave(they like that). and i would reccomend a sand bed just for added surface area for bio filtration, unless u have a huge skimmer. as they get big(even the dwarfs get big) they make a big mess, which in turn needs to be processed somehow.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Okay, here is the thing. If you don't have live rock and then add some, your gonna get a cycle which will be bad for the lion. Either use decorative fake pieces or get them to babysit the lion till the tank is ready which may be a month unless you get cured rock which can get costly but you don't get nearly as much die off or cycle. Agree, ask them to feed it, if it's not eating might want to wait till you find one that is. Oh, it doesn't have to have live rock, fake corals and caves work too. The important thing is they need lots of places to hide. What equipment do you have on the tank? They are messy eaters and you will want a skimmer or something.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you dont want to have problems with feeding just find a medium sized one at a lfs that is eating frozen foods. I know at my lfs every once in a while they have the small sized dwarfs which wont eat frozen and usualy all the medium to large ones are already on frozen foods. I would never buy a lion fish online just because of the feeding issue.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I agree with Jenna on the live rock, If You add live uncured rock to the system, you will have a cycle, it maybe be small depends on the rock, You can cured the rock and then place it in the tank, even if it is after you get the fish, Live rock is very good to have even in FO tanks.

As far as the fish eating, Don't buy it if You don't see it eat, and not live food but You want it to eat freeze dry or frozen foods,

·
Administrator
46,887 Posts
Very important that it take silversides or krill, dont fall into the trap of feeding live goldfish or guppies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts