The Reef Tank banner

Dwarf Angelfish Compatibility

15K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  JizuPuen 
#1 ·
I am starting a 135 gallon mixed reef tank and am trying to make a plan of fish for the tank and am wondering what kind of dwarf angelfish can go together? I was really hoping that a flame angelfish and a coral beauty could go together but am not sure because different sources are saying different things. Any help would be great

#6 ·
Can only try

I'm interested in how this goes. I have thought about a bicolor and a flame or even a full sized angel with a flame (in a larger tank than I presently have.)

I'd say give it a shot. If they seem to be fighting, capture the one you are less attached to and take it back.

Post the results to the forum so we can all learn.

There are some angel experts on this site; maybe they'll have more insight.

#8 ·
If you really want them they HAVE to go in last... the flame angel will be terriorial for sure... if there is aggression and you done wanna take one back you can try the penalty box
... you a plastic box like te lfs uses drill a bunch of holes in it and use what ever method you want to make it float and putthe aggressor in there for a week or so.... this will give the fish beimg picked on a chance to get comfortable and learn all the hiding spot (which there should be many)... and release the aggressor.... doesnt always work but I have seen it work with a few friends

#9 ·
Im not sure what your budget is but if its in your budget take a look at the Regal Angel. They are gorgeous fish and are reef safe. I have on in my softie tank with soft corals, a pair of picasso clowns, powder brown tang and a hawaiian blue boxfish. They get along great with other fish. I picked one up from a local saltwater supply store for $50!

#10 ·
Ya thats the thing my LFS only carries very common clownfish and the tanks are filthy and overcrowded, so I don't think that they could even fit any kind of angel in their like 15 gallon cubes, but an other good LFS that is 5 hours away carries almost all the fish that are good for beginners so I will contact them about the angels and see which ones they carry in stock regularly

#11 ·
I tried adding a potters angel to my 210, which has had the flame angel since I started it. The potters hid a lot, and disappeared after a week or so. He didnt jump, I checked everywhere. It could've been my blue jaw trigger female, but I did see the flame angel chase the potters a little. I thought he'd be fine, then he was gone. This is my LIMITED experience with mixing dwarfs, and I won't be trying it again. Hope this helps

Oh and its a 6 ft tank with plenty of rock and almost too many hiding places...

#13 ·
I kept 5 pygmy angels in a 120 (about 150 lbs of live rock) for over a year before my mother evicted my tank. I added my flameback first, followed by 2 at once (bicolour and Lemon peel) then 2 more (flame and potters). The angels put in first were aggressive, but became overwhelmed and didnt have enough hate to go around. Hopefully you don't value zoanthids because i had some, then i had none... This is my experience however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.