The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we all seem to love these little guys, but we all worry about them nipping at our corals. So, which one is the best bet? I'd love to have a flame, but a friend has a cherub and his is very well behaved. I may eventually get a cherub from him. What do you think?

Here's a link to the liveaquaria.com dwarf angel page.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=16

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Hi DebsSisterFlo
Ive had both and the flame never bothered any of my corals. Now I have a coral beauty and a cherub and they both along with a bicolor blenny pick at my blue zoos all day. As a matter of fact there is not much left to pick at. I will also say that is the only thing they pick at. I also have the gold zoos and green button polyps leathers and mushrooms and they don't bother them. So I'm not sure if it's the fish or the combo of the fish and the blue zoos. Good Luck!

·
Registered
138 Posts
my coral beauty has nipped at some of my corals, but never really done any harm. its almost like hes picking off some food or something.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I was worried at one ponit with my coral beauty when I saw it looking at my SPS frags the wrong way. Nothing ever came of it though, so far I have had it for 2 months with no issues yet.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i got a cherub from theplatypus, it was nipping some corals in his tank, but hasnt done anything in mine, its really a toss up for most angels, i have heard that the best bet is the coral beauties, but i dont know how much truth is in that statement, seems all are iffy.
on a side note, has anyone ever had a lemon peel, or a multicolor with any luck not chomping?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I have heard the lemon peels are hard to get to eat but this is word of mouth not personal experience.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Geoff said:
lemon peel and bicolour angels are prolly the most difficult dwarfs to get to eat.

have you looked at any of the Genicanthus spp.? these are reef safe?

G~
the Genicanthus are nice, but for us with small tanks, not many of them stay very small do they?

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
I think the Watanabe Angel, smallest of the Genicanthus spp., can get to 6" in capitivity.
I've been doing some serious research in the last few weeks becuase I really want to add an Angel to my tank. I would love something like the above, but 75g doesn't warrant anything that can get to 6".

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
ok, this is my take on Centropyge angels. :D

it is a 50/50 chance they will nip. i tend to think that it is closer to a 80% chance that they will nip. what is more important to you, the corals or the angel? the only angels that i have had that did not nip at corals/clams are the Genicanthus. i have had just about every other Centropyge angel over the years and have had problems with all of them. i just do not get them anymore. if you really, really must have one than get a dwarf. that way its mouth is smaller and will do less harm to the coral/clam that it is nipping.

it is tough finding Genicanthus that are not already at least 5" long. so they are not for the smaller tanks. :(

G~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts