The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Flame Angel is my absolutely favorite fish (besides the queen angel and powder blue), and he is a must for my tank. But I have also been caught in the "net" of the beautiful Bicolor Angel. I know they supposedly arent supposed to get along, but I DO know that every fish is different and there is a possibility they wont fight. Any help? :arg:

· Caribbean Reefer
279 Posts
I keep 8 Dwarf Angels in a 90 Gallon Reef tank with little or no issues. You are correct that each individual may have a different personality and temperament. If you have a 55G or larger tank, you can house two Dwarf despite the common notion that this will not work. One necessary requirement is that you have an abundant amount of live rock (nearly 2lbs per gallon) for them to graze on separately. Also, adding the two simultaneously will reduce the initial aggression and will make it far easier for them to coexist. I currently house both a Flame and BiColor as well as a pair of Potters, MultiColor, Keyhole, Lemonpeel, and a Golden Dwarf Angel. Again, you must be sure to have an extreme amount of live rock with many caves and surfaces for them to hide and graze as this will reduce stress and aggression as well as proper husbandry and feeding practices specific to angels. If added after some have become established, you may notice some tail slapping and chasing but do not worry as this will cease in 1-2 days. The Lemonpeel was one of my first and was one of the most aggressive specimens I have ever seen. He too accepted the others after a couple days and now they all live peacefully together with absolutely no aggression. You will also hear that Dwarf Angels are reef caution and will nip at corals and to some extent this is true. I keep many soft corals (Xenia, Zoas, Frogs etc) but I also have many Duncans and Gorgonians. While the Angels will occasionally nip at the stony parts, they do not harm the corals. They are attracted to the mucus secreted by the stony surface not the actual coral. I would highly recommend trying out multiple angels if you have the necessary requirements as they make a great community to observe.

· A Little Fishy
362 Posts
I had a Flame Angel for about 9 years in my 75g reef. Just lost him a few months ago to a prolonged power outage. My next fish purchase is going to be a Generac 7500:rotflmao:. He was always the "wow" of the tank but he had a bit of an attitude. He liked to nip at the clam mantles and frogspawn coral but he never did any damage. I am not sure how but the frogspawn survived the outage and now that angel is gone it has never opened up as much as it does now. I passed on the Flame this time when restocking and ended up with a Pacific Blue.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice Jordan. I have a 55 ggallon with TONS of Live rock, so i think im gonna go for that. we will see. should they be added at the same time?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.