The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be having a common problem with one of my two overflows. One is silent, no problems, the other is quite noisey - your basic flushing sound and I can see the level of water go down below the level of the Durso standpipe opening, then back up, back down, flush, flush...

I'm fairly certain the problem is a distance / flow issue. The side that works is short, almost straight down into the sump. The problem side has a fairly long horizontal run to get to the sump. Unfortunately I can't move the sump to shorten the one side.

My initial thoughts are to restrict the flow into that one overflow (keep it from getting below the standpipe opening) or maybe to open up the airflow into it. But I'm not sure either will work...

Any suggestions?

thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
you might try opening the vent hole a bit more as SR said.. or is it possible to not havea horizontal run?

i know distance can be changed, but on my plumbing i have no horizontal runs. they are all at a slight angle. that might make a differance.

here is a link to the way my plumbing was set up.. btw :if yo uare on dial up, beware, there are lots of photos.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24652

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SR & The Man... Awesome! Got out Mr B&D and drilled out the hole a bit - BAM! Fixed in five seconds. Amazing how simple solutions can be. It's soooo quiet now.

As far as having it not horizontal, there's probably a slight drop, but due to poor planning on my part, it will be this way until the tank moves. :-(

But I can't believe how quiet it is now!

Cool pics too!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
thanks!!

glad to hear yo ugot it fixed. that never ending flush is soo annoying!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts